Featured Miniature 3 3/4" antique travel clock assistance with maker marks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by George Chaney, Nov 14, 2022.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Looking to get some assistance with the marks for this antique 800 silver keywind clock. it measures about 3 3/4" high. If you can help with the watch works mark that would be fantastic as well! I am pretty confident it is german, but I cannot find the symbol used anywhere. I believe - maybe, it is the same symbol on the works? There aren't any other marks on the clock.

Thanks
    IMG_2346.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2359.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I really really crave that !

George Chaney and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sweet! But is it really a travel clock? I am very far from an expert but I have to wonder, it doesn't look like something that would travel easily. Did it come with a travel case?

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Which symbol as you asking about? I don't see anything on the works that resembles the maker's mark in the one on the outside (the one on the left in the silver marks.) It would also be unlikely anyway to have the maker of the case also make the clock works.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Any chance the mark is Cyrillic?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. silvermakersmarks

silvermakersmarks Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, they are not lined up, but the German crescent moon and crown marking (or crown inside sun for gold) isn't done in assay halls, but by the makers and retailers themselves. That means that placing of the marks depends on how precise an individual is, and if they use a moon and crown in one punch, or if they use two single punches.
    When using the moon and crown marks, the only legal requirement is that the crown is to the right of the crescent moon, and the fineness mark.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    George Chaney, Bakersgma and Lark like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I wasn't seeing a flower next to the moon and crown. It looks to me like a little person dancing with arms in the air and a skirt flaring out.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

"I see a little silhouetto of a man...":singing::playful:

Actually, I saw a devil's mask at first, but when Phil mentioned the rose mark, I could see that might be it.

10. George Chaney

Thank you all! Sorry about not replying, I didn't get any alerts in my inbox...gonna have to check me spam folder setup.

Anyway, I don't disagree about the works and case being made by two different companies. I just assumed the stamp in the last picture of the star above what what looks like an upside down manora(?) was the mark for the watch works maker.

Based upon the crown moon, I was pretty confident it was German cased, I just was not sure about the maker, I must of missed that mark Phil when I looked as I think you have it!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. George Chaney

I really don't know, based upon the size I assumed it could have been as it was with 2 other travel clocks. There was no case. I suppose it is more like - given the size of it, maybe a desk clock?

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u don't need no alerts , you're welcome here anytime. !!!;):happy:

Any Jewelry and George Chaney like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted