Featured Minton China The Mayfair Hotel

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Sep 6, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I picked up some soup bowls made by Minton for The Mayfair Hotel. I'm trying to figure out which Mayfair hotel this is from.
    The mark is the one used since the 1950s.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    thanks for looking.

DSC09184.jpg DSC09185.jpg DSC09187.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm getting a Florida vibe....but can't find their old logo...

pearlsnblume, judy and cxgirl like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have a database on a memory stick of Hotels and the dates they operated. This was the only "The Mayfair Hotel" listed. There are others but they are listed as Hotel Mayfair or The Hotel Mayfair or just plain Mayfair Hotel. Almost all of these are pre 1950. Any "The Mayfair Hotel" operated after 1950 isn't on this data base.

This was the only "The Mayfair Hotel" - operated pre 1944. It was located at 1224 Linwood Blvd at Tracy (Paseo), Kansas City, Missouri. No closing date was listed. Since your mark was used from the 50's on, this probably isn't the right one.

Have you tried the Restaurant Ware collectors board? They are very nice and very helpful.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think you need to be looking outside the US. There's a VERY famous "The Mayfair Hotel" in London. And that's where I think your china came from.

lloyd249, UncleChuckTX, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Boy, this is a hard order to fill for like Mill Cove has pointed out, there are and were many Mayfair related hotels. Probably the best known Great Britain Mayfair hotel is The Mayfair Hotel on Stratton St., London. I have seen this one written as The May Fair Hotel and The MayFair Hotel. The are a few in Canada like one recently demolished in Kitchener, Ont. Believe also at least one in Australia. There is also the possibility back when the Mayfair hotels had "The" in their title, but in the last 25 years may have dropped the "The."

--- Susan

cxgirl likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you all for responding!
    Yes, there are quite a few of 'The Mayfair Hotels' in this world. I thought because the pieces were by Minton it would be a higher end hotel.
    I sent photos to several hotels to see if this was one of their pieces, maybe I'll hear something from them.
    I forgot about the restaurant board, I'll give them a try.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You do know that hotels put their name on stuff to deter theft, and any one with a bunch of hotelware might be assumed to be somewhat kleptomaniac?

Just sayin'

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Heh. ;) I'm rather thinking I remember that logo. Not that I ever pinched china from the place.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

What, they didn't expect you to take a piece home? I remember most people had A & W mugs or silverware from the Ferries, trains or airlines in their homes. Or maybe I just know people who take stuff, lol.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

& what happens when a place goes out of business.....
    do they BURN everything ??????????????

Sandra and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Norman

Norman New Member

I have several sets of demitasse cups and saucers with the same logo on them that I bought from local antique stores. So, I am interested in their origin too. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. We had a Mayfair hotel here in the city that was demolished in the 2000’s and I think that could be the one. See that following photo:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/94207108@N02/14941599992

12. Norman

Norman New Member

13. komokwa

After 4 years & 2 weeks....... the answer !!

Nice , Norman !!!

Now that you're here, you understand it takes a village !! :happy::happy::happy:

( plus...it's neat to read my yadda yadda from 4 years ago !! )

Hey @cxgirl ... u still have that china ???

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Norman:) This is too weird you responded to this post, I came across those pieces the other day and the are sitting on my table. Do yours have the same mark on the bottom of them? Can you post a photo of yours?
    lol komokwa, is the Pope Catholic? :)

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting. Wouldn't have thought an American hotel would have commissioned British china but possible, I suppose. Here's confirmation that not London's May Fair Hotel which is spelled with two words.

Debora

f2a850cc1f3ec012ecc5f8b26610b932.jpg

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  16. komokwa

Edmonton....... not American..

Canada....England.....perfect connection !

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

Debora

Mill Cove Treasures and komokwa like this.
  18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I had to laugh. My grandmother (maternal) did take some fancy hotel/restaurants items when she visited--plates, silverware,etc. I think cxgirl and I must be related or we both run in the same circles of folks who want souvenirs.

19. komokwa

I've got the Do Not Disturb sign from the Westbury in London !!! ;);)

20. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

:D I also have a collection of ashtrays, restaurant items and hotel wares from all over the world that belonged to various relatives.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted