Miro HC etching aquatint

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ramyick, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

I already bought it, rink. I paid $90 at an auction sort of expecting it not to be real. In fact, the auction pic was terrible and I could only see the plate, the signature and a blurry image at left that I figured was the number. I bid on it over the phone and was happy when I picked it up. I research it a little more and find that, if in fact real, could be worth a bit. That's the story. It's been a fun sweat either way.

2. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

I have and I found info that contradicts what you are saying.

3. trailboss

trailboss New Member

rink, every print is a copy of an original. Only the original work is original.

Signed and numbered
    Limited edition
    Touched up
    Artist proof
    Gallery sample (NC)
    Serigraph

All copies of the original of which there is only one. Yet each has a value equal to what the market will pay.

4. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

I'm glad someone let him know this besides me. My guess is u worked in a gallery for a day and your boss quickly realized there was no hope.

5. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Rink, what in the world are you talking about. You worked in a gallery and they have to put the numbers ... I don't get that part at all.
    A print pulled from a plate, stone etc is considered an original artwork. In a way it is still a copy. But what matters is if the print was done from the original plate created by the artist vs reproduced in other way.

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

HC - (French, Hors d'Commerce) Prints from an edition intended to be used as samples to show to dealers and galleries.

7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hors d'Commerce Proof - Print identical to the edition print intended to be used as samples to show to dealers and galleries. Hors d'Commerce (abbreviated to H.C.) proofs may or may not be signed by the artist.

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

if you bought this at an auction and if it was real there would be no way they would start the bidding that low. thats another concern

10. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

I bought a George Nelson steel frame sofa for $7 at same auction house. I live in a place where people don't really know Miro, George Nelson and the Eames.

11. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Ok Rink, we know what is HC.
    According to you, it is not an original print? How was the print done? Was is from the original plate/stone? If so, it is an original print.

12. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

I guess he thinks it's a copy of the gallery pic example from the links above. That one was 24/25. That's why I asked for clarification, but he just Keeps googling HC and pasting definitions lol. I smell a troll...

13. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Once again the auction house would of never started that low if it was worth that much money. Have a good day

14. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Lol my point is that it's not a knowledgeable auction house! I talked to the auctioneer and let him know which item I wanted to bid on by calling it "the weird, colorful print" in an effort not to give him a name. He said he knew the one I was talking about and never mentioned it being a Miro. I also bought 4 Saarinen side chairs with knoll stickers on the bottom for $30. When I called to tell him I wanted to bid he says "they're made by Knox or something ". It's obvious that this auctioneer is not high on identification.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

"every print is a copy of an original. Only the original work is original."

A popular misconception.....

An original print is a work of art created by hand and printed by hand, either by the artist or by a professional assistant (often called an artisan), from a plate, block, stone, or stencil that has been hand created by the artist for the sole purpose of producing the desired image.
    The plates or stencils it is printed from bear no resemblance to the finished work of art, which means it is not a copy or a reproduction of anything.
    In fact, in all print media but two, the image on the matrix (what the print is produced from) is mirror image or backwards from what the finished work will be. The image reverses in the printing process so the artist has to think and draw backwards. Each print produced is technically a unique work although produced as a signed and numbered multiple.
    The technical term for this is monoprint. The original print is usually produced as a limited number of impressions, another word for print. The term for this group of prints is the edition. Although there are many of the same image in an edition, each print is an individual part of the whole, the whole being the edition. An original print is actually one piece of a multiple original work of art.

16. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Whoever brought that item in would of told the auctioneer not too start that low on the item. Also wouldn't it be kind of fishy to take an item (if original print ) to a not knowledge auction house?

17. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

That would make no sense to put an item like that in a not reputable auction home! Lol

18. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

You're giving people way more credit than you should...you should google the story about the blogger who paid $14 for a signed Picasso print at goodwill. These things happen...

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

prints that are given to someone or are for some reason unsuitable for sale are marked "H. C." or "H/C", meaning "hors de commerce", not for sale. These are usually prints reserved for the publisher,......& can be used to advertise or sell the Original Print.

They can be collectible....but I suggest that their value would be lower than that of the Original Print run.

20. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

But the person who had the item before you obviously knew about art or collected it. They would of never had let the auctioneer go on that low without putting a reserve on the item

Draft saved Draft deleted