Miro HC etching aquatint

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ramyick, Jul 30, 2016.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Komokwa that's what I have been trying to say!

2. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Maybe the problem lies in rinks definition of not worth that much. Throw a number out rink. What u think it's worth?

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

A million dollars

4. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Lol just a troll...

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well yes....but you also said it's a COPY of the original work.
    It was made by the same process ...but set aside from the print run to be used as a sample...or gift......not to be included in the Original Print offering ......& numbered to know the exact amount of the sample edition.

So...not really a copy.....but not for sale .

And since it wasn't made for sale, ... the secondary market can call it Museum Grade....collectible....desirable ....or funky little print ......and ask whatever price the market will bear.

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Who really knows what you actually paid for it and who really knows if that auctioneer is not reputable. Any auctioneer would have to mention an item if worth quite a bit. Like I said take it to a museum if you don't believe me. My opinion will stand. Also the person who brought that item in to sell Would of said something to auctioneer and would not let it go for 90 dollars or whatever you paid for it considering they most likely collected art. Also they would of most likely took it to an art auction or sold it to a gallery. Very rarely do these items show up at miscellaneous auctions. Yeah they do but very rarely. Have a nice day.

7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

You said it, rarely but not never. If that is your only argument that the print is reproduction/fake, that is not serious.
    You don't know who was the previous owner. Maybe the print changed ownership several times and the last one was not aware of the artist and the value.
    Or, like some of the local auction houses do, they get a lot of their items from estates, some of the owners have past away and many pieces start at low value because they don't have additional information on the pieces and have not identified many of them.
    All those treasures you find at the thrift stores, why are they there, why the owners did not sell them if they know their value?

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Well somebody in their family would of mentioned it before selling. 50 dollars treasures and thousands dollars treasures are two different price ranges. When is the last time you knew someone who went to a thrift store and walked away with a couple thousand dollar item? Very rarely does it happen. I have been to plenty of auctions and not one time where I was there an auctioneer did not say what the item was or valued at if it was worth quite a few. Heck about a month ago they were auctioning off a ring that was appraised for 3 000 and the auctioneer even announced it over the speaker before auctioning it off. That's why if if this was an original print they would of said something about it before auctioning it off. Sorry but if someone is bringing in a Miro etching (more modern piece) I would think they would have some knowledge about art or collected it. Even if the previous owner passed someone in the family knew or she collected art and had it appraised at a gallery. Also wouldn't you think if it was real wouldn't you take it to an art auction or art gallery to sell instead of a miscellaneous auction? That's where my red flag comes in.

9. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Still it happens.
    I bought Chagall etching at local auction for $1000 and sold it for over 3k. Auctioneer did not know what it was. I'd have it for $20 if it was not only one other bidder who knew what it was.
    Bought more than one painting ( cheap) at thrift stores that later were sold for over $1000. I'm pretty sure it is not only me.
    You have reasons for a red flag but why are you ignoring all the other information.

10. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Yeah I think rink is the auctioneer. Ur passion is strange!

11. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I would be leery of an hc that is un-numbered in that there are numerous fakes bearing the hc. It is far easier to get caught faking numbered prints (there can only be one print numbered 1/100, etc.).

Some of us make a decent living knowing more about certain things than the majority of auctioneers. A local auction house cannot be reasonably expected to know everything about everything.

12. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

This one is numbered 18/25.

13. Mark London

I know. My point is that the number increases the odds of it being kosher. On the other hand, I am not 100% comfortable with the signature.

14. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

15. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Rink, hang around for another year or two and you'll understand why some are disputing your comments.

Mark, as the owner of four Miro's, the Miro coffee table book by Erben, and three times plus 10 Rink's journey on earth, I am satisfied with the sig. He's had hundreds of variations. But, seriously, I'm always open to learn something new, so please expand on that comment.

16. Mark London

The M and the bottom swoosh are pretty good but the additional flourish at the top and dot are the end are new to me.

17. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

His work is faked a lot. Heck a 8th grade could copy his signature. It's not hard to do. Plus old guy you don't even know if his print was copied off the original plate. Just because it looks good from the pic doesn't mean anything unless you have a museum or gallery view it in person. I told my opinion old guy and have been around for awhile. I'll stick to my opinion but thanks for the advise

18. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

19. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

He has numerous signature styles. I assure you that you're signature now will be different than when you're 65. Use that brain, rink.

20. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

None of his signatures has a huge line going through it like yours above the r. Also his r doesn't sloop that low like the one in your picture. I just think you can't handle when someone says something negative or has a red flag on your item. In that case you can be mad at mark as well cause he even pointed out the signature first.

Draft saved Draft deleted