Featured Misc. Flatware Help Please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My neighbor gave me some pieces to sell for her and I was hoping for some help on these three...

First is what I think is a silver plate cheese server going by the piece types on Replacements. It measures 6-7/8" across, the front and back look identical and the mark on the side is "Community" which I think is Oneida silver plate. Am I right about this?
    CommunityKnife.jpg

Second is a spoon, I found a very similar one on Replacements under Misc coin silver flatware by Stowell & Co, https://www.replacements.com/silver-stowell-and-co-misc-coin-silver-flatware/c/553526. It measures 5-7/8" across (the Replacements one is 7") and is marked "A. Stowell". Could this be a sugar spoon?
    ShellSpoonFtBk.jpg
    ShellSpoonMrk.jpg

The third I am sure is silver plate, a knife, but what kind? It has the blade turned and you can see where is was twisted just above the blade. Was it made this way or did a former owner get creative? It measures 7-3/8" across and is marked "Rogers & Bro" on the back of the handle.
    Rogers&BroKnife.jpg
    Rogers&BroKnifeTwist.jpg
    Rogers&BroKnifeMrk.jpg

Lastly, this one, a knife, has me stumped because the marks have been aggressively polished so I am having trouble figuring them out. It measures 7-1/4" long. What kind of knife is it?
    UK_KnifeFtBk.jpg
    UK_KnifeMrks.jpg

Thank you all so much for any help you can give :)

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

No. 1 looks like a cheese server to me, can look up the pattern for you in a bit, or look here: https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/SPPatterns/Oneida1.html

No. 2 looks to be a small sugar shell.

No. 3 is a twisted butter knife.

No. 4 is also a butter knife, American coin silver bearing pseudo-marks often used by wholesalers, many in New York state, the other mark is sooo worn, but it would belong to the maker or retailer. Can look up the maker those marks are attributed to in a bit...

~Cheryl

3. DragonflyWink

4. DragonflyWink

bercrystal likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OMG Cheryl!!!! I posted the questions and went off to have lunch never expecting answers so fast! I think it took me longer to shoot the photos and post the questions than it did for you to answer them :woot:

Thank you so much, I really, really appreciate it :)

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The butter knives are sometimes referred to as a Master Butter Knife. It's the one that goes on/with the butter dish, as opposed to the smaller individual butter knives at the place setting which you use to spread butter on a roll.

I believe you use the master butter to take a pat or two from the butter and drop it onto your bread plate. Then you use your own smaller butter knife to put butter on a roll or biscuit. None of this is still being done by most people these days. At least in the home, sometimes at a swanky restaurant you might still see these pieces.

bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

In my experience knives are bit better sellers than spoons. Seems to be a lot less of them around. Makes sense, you’d have one master butter knife and a bunch of spoons. Having a southern retailer attached to it should help a lot. People pay much more for southern coin silver since it’s more rare. This isn’t technically southern but since marked with a southern retailer I’d make mention of southern in the listing title and then explain. Stowell was a Boston silversmith if I recall correctly. Not exactly a highly desired maker as there’s a lot of it around but it’s a nice one and someone will want it.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted