Miscellaneous items

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Jan 7, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Hi all:

The stoneware bowl is about 2.25 lbs, the Asian figures 4 or 5 ounces each, the wooden air balloon-looking "thingies" a few lbs.

My questions:
    • Whose signature is on the bowl and what's the style of glaze?
    • Are the figures Chinese or Japanese, and are they modern homemade pieces, like I suspect?
    • What are the wooden pieces that look like air balloons?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The Mini-balloons look like someone had a blast making them!!!!! I think there's a HUGE diamond inside each one of them!!!!!!!! Just kidding!!!!!

Fid, ulilwitch and dude like this.
  3. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Pottery bowl looks like a newish piece thrown on a wheel and signed by the owner. Figurines look like early Asian Export items. Parquet hot air balloons are cool...no idea...Poland?

dude and ulilwitch like this.
  4. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Not sure but I would check signature of Tom McMillin for the bowl.

blooey and dude like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

When you go to a hot air balloon festival, they sell all kinds of hot air balloon related things. I am going to guess these are from such an event.

dude likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You can get them at some hot air political rallies too

cxgirl, dude and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx. Your guess is better than anything I would have come up with, ulil. The only Tom McMillin I found so far has a different sig and did work in the 60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx. By early, do you mean 19th century? BTW, I couldn't find any parquet balloons for sale on line to compare for pricing/ value. I bought mine at a thrift store; their original tag was $25, but I'm not sure how old they are and if the retail would be more or less.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  9. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx. I've never seen one of these rallies live before, just planes with political banners at some east coast shores.

[​IMG]

10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx. Never been to one. Sounds like fun!

11. KikoBlueEyes

Absolutely. The sky is filled with balloons in every color, size and some with different shapes. You lift off with other balloons, so its a shared experience. It is so quiet. Your float above the landscape like a soaring bird.

The last time I went was over the rock formations in Cappadocia Turkey. Our pilot was highly skilled but wild and took us right down to the mushroom shapes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bakersgma and dude like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Albuquerque International Balloon Festival.

upload_2020-1-7_8-56-2.jpeg upload_2020-1-7_8-57-15.jpeg

Bakersgma and dude like this.
  13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have been to a lot of balloon festivals but never up in a balloon. The other half won"t let me since she discovered that my insurance will not pay up if I get injured or worse in a balloon. Hell I have been up in Zeppelins, sky dived several times and in most type of planes and fighter jets, My all time favorite was several gliders flights. I have never been afraid in any kind of plane even the antique biplanes.
    I was in a plane crash back in the 1950s no one killed but a lot of people injured. The chances of a plane crash is rare but the chances of being in two are astronomical. Thus I am not afraid to fly.
    greg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

WOW I DIDN'T KNOW!! Your wealth of experiences are fantastic, Greg!

dude likes this.
  16. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Impressive!

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Only once did my excitement of trying things backfire. On one trip to Greece a nurse I worked with said I had to go to this little town since her grandparents talked about it all of the time. I asked what time the bus goes there and 8:30 AM seemed okay, I figured I'd spend a couple of hours there and take a lot of pictures. Well we left at 9AM and about three hours later we pulled over to the side of the road and everyone stood there and took a leak. It was bad enough that the bus also had two donkeys and a few cages of chickens. We got to the town about 2PM. It was a small delightful town. I took a lot of photos had a late lunch and about 4:30 I asked about the time the bus was leaving to go back to Athens. Found someone who spoke English and he told me that the bus left a half hour ago. I asked when the next bus was leaving and was informed at 8 AM. It was a small town with no inn or hotel!!! The restaurant closed at 6PM. Everyone went home. I ended up sleeping next to the police station which was also closed. At 7Am I had breakfast and got on the bus back to Athens.
    greg

antidiem likes this.
  18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

lol greg and you lived to tell the tale! ;) :shame:

Draft saved Draft deleted