Featured Mocs

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by J Dagger, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

If one was going to repair them then the whole ankle cuff on the left hand side moc is mis.shapen and quite different from the correct one on the right hand side. The right hand cuff is beautifully shaped ending with a bow and nice even points on the lower front cuff, The left hand cuff is completely at odds with the right with no cuff points and the bow tie in the wrong place .. appears as if the maker ran out of supplies and fixed it as best they could .. may be very difficult to repair. Just study the front of the two cuffs with bows and you will see what I mean. Joy.

2. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking the same exact thing! Maybe they just ran out of material. Or maybe they didn’t have the first one in front of them when they finished the second one? Definitely a very wonky shape. I won’t be the one to repair them. I’ll just enjoy them idiosyncrasy’s and all.

3. J Dagger

Most of the things I own I bought with the intention of selling and never thought about it again once I got them home. Even if I say I’ll enjoy these for a while and then move on it would probably be a lie. We shall see! Maybe if a nicer pair of Mocs falls in my lap like these did I will sell. In the meantime this conversation has actually motivated me to buy myself a new pair of Mocs to actually wear around the house. I needed slippers and decided I would probably get a pair of NA made Mocs instead. Preferably with very modest and simple beading. If anyone has suggestions I would LOVE to hear them. I found one page (wolfden.ca) that has some nice looking ones. Was thinking of possibly a more traditional look but didn’t have much time to search today. I have a great pair of Cabelas bison leather slippers with shearling lining that I got as a gift well over a decade ago. They have held up amazingly well over the years with heavy use. I keep those at my folks chilly New England house now though and need a new pair for my place. I should probably go with the tried and true but figured an NA pair would be fun and a good way to support artisans at the same time. Hopefully I can find a pair I like.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

J Dagger, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought the point near the ankle was just folded in a bit, making that end look more oval than square. I could be wrong, J Dagger can probably tell us if that is the case. The bow can be moved.

J Dagger and judy like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

No, the left cuff is cut wrong AJ, believe me AJ I am a hand sewer and have made moccasins with a group of native women who taught me the art of shaping the moose hide .. chewing it to get the toe pleating right .. applying the beadwork etc.etc. I never sold them because they weren't Native Made, but made a pair each for my three children. That cuff is cut wrong and mis-shaped. .. Love You .. Joy. :)

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@J Dagger ..could u kindly fold out the cuff on the far left so we can see the squared corner....;):jawdrop:

8. J Dagger

I will when I get them. I still haven’t gone to pick my stuff up. It got really nice here and I had to go out and metal detecting a couple times while it was warm.

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. J Dagger

When I finally go and pick them up I’ll show y’all!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. J Dagger

Sadly I don’t either. Thanks.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted