Featured Modernist painting 1960s raised inside frame, Baltimore artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

ANY luck with the signature on this? Outer frame, very approx, 2x3'. Painting has signature lower left. The canvas (I think canvas, could be another material...) is raised and attached to the burlap-like backing, so no mat. Probably better words to describe this, see last photo right after pics of the sig.

Neighborhood sale, woman said that she "bought this from the artist in Baltimore in the 1960s and that he was African American and made his living as an artist."

The back has the sticker from the framer (EFFRA, Inc.) Not much online about them, but there was some acquisition at Harvard for a 1960s piece where this same framer was mentioned.

Now just have to figure out if this artist has a following. Any help with the signature? Looks like Harry or Henry.... ?? Thanks.

h2.jpg h3.jpg h4.jpg h4b.jpg h5.jpg h7d.jpg h8a.jpg h8b.jpg h55.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think I see an "s" at the end of the last name but Dunns didn't come up with anything.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Jivvy

cxgirl, Lucille.b and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Signature changed quite bit but very likely same artist IMHO. Here's close-up from 1967 work.

Debora

H4529-L102475027.jpg

Lucille.b, komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Awesome, folks. Looks like it might be a match. The signature is certainly close and time frame fits perfectly.

I appreciate the time and help offered! :)

cxgirl, komokwa and Jivvy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nice piece. Sure you'll enjoy.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like Harry Dunne to me, with an e at the end.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Can't make heads or tails out the sig, but does seem to be the one matched above.

Funny because the woman who sold this said that she "knew the artist" and that he was African American from Baltimore.

If it is Harry Dunn (signature seems really similar to the links above) Harry was neither African American, nor from Baltimore. Harry was a Caucasian from PA.

A bit of trivia from one of the sites, also showed his photo:

"Artist Harry Dunn: Artist. He is best known for being the creator of the famous NBC television network peacock logo. Born in West Chester, Pennsylvania, he studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and the Philadelphia College of Art. He worked as an artist-draftsman while in the army and after discharge designed many commercials for the major television networks. After living in New York he moved back to the Philadelphia area, and later settled back in West Chester. He died in 1998."

So thinking either we haven't found the artist (...but sig really looks a match) OR former owner was mixed up. Label shows framed in Baltimore so she was probably correct about purchasing it in Baltimore, but maybe she had the other part wrong.

Of course, it was the 60s.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Easy to get more info by contacting the gallery that sells his work.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. Jivvy

:hilarious:

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Jivvy

Also possible the internet has multiple Harry Dunns combined into one. Seen odder happenings.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted