Moorcroft Pattern Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Two small Moorcroft bowls. Can someone tell what the patterns are, and if possible, the date mark on the second one with the large purple flower?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

I think the date mark on the one above is 1928-1949:

[​IMG]

Is this one Clematis?

[​IMG]

I can't find this mark--perhaps it's missing the paper label?

[​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yes to clematis. I think it's a post war one, 1950s or so.

The other flower is an auricula or a primula. Not sure the pattern's called that, back in a bit.....

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

thanks, bear. I'm still looking for the first one, can't seem to find the pattern.

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Wondering if Bear or anyone else can figure out the pattern name on the one with 3 flowers? Thanks for your help!

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@ascot I've not seen that pattern before and have been looking but not seeing it anywhere. I've got a couple of books at my store so I'll have a look for you tomorrow.

6. Ownedbybear

I'm a bit stumped too - I've searched all over the place, but it's a new one on me.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Ascot,
    Love your bowls but adore your puppy.
    greg

8. Ownedbybear

One thing: I do think this is one of the flambe designs.

9. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks for your continued help. I'm still searching, too. I've never had a piece of Moorcroft before, so your help is very appreciated.

Thanks, too, for the compliment on our miniature Schnauzer. We have 2. They're great dogs.

10. Ownedbybear

The closest match is one of the Summer Flowers patterns, which is what I suspect it is. I like it much better than the clematis, which is a lot more common. You can see the difference in the quality of the decoration - those earlier pieces are better done, in my view.

11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

With that dark center, and the seed pod, are you sure this isn't a type of poppy?

12. Messilane

Or . . . is that a bud, rather than a pod?

13. Ownedbybear

6. Moorcroft late McIntyre Florian bowl poppy pattern white metal rim signed t o base.jpg Oh, and here's my Moorcroft! I had two - the first was bought without servers, so I bought this one simply to get its serving spoons. I sold this one, kept the other identical one. I love Florian Poppy.

6. Moorcroft late McIntyre Florian bowl poppy pattern white metal rim signed t o base.jpg

14. Ownedbybear

I think it's a bud, messi. And our native poppies aren't typically on that multiple flowered stem. But since when were potters botanists. ;)

15. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Oh, Bear, that is gorgeous!

The only poppies I'm familiar with are the little paper ones that used to be sold on Veterans Day (used to be Armistice Day--giving away my age here LOL), and the ones in the field in The Wizard of Oz movie. My recollection is that these were all single stem, but I think there are many varieties?

16. Messilane

I believe Bear is right, and I should have known - I do have poppies in my garden and they only have single flowers on each stem.
    :)

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Sorry ascot, didn't find it the books. You might try contacting Moorcroft and asking them - it is a nice looking piece! Please let us know if you find anything out on this.
    http://www.moorcroft-pottery-bop.co.uk

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was lucky enough to tour the Moorcroft factory a few years ago. They would be more than happy to answer your question, I'm sure. Here's my little treasure.

2015-02-13 17.50.31 (600x800).jpg 2015-02-13 17.50.38 (600x800).jpg

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ohhh, that's sweet !
    A fish that DIDN'T get away !!! LOL...

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Being a Pisces, I tend to collect fish. :)

I should have written down what all the marks on the bottom meant. If you watch these pieces going through the various artisans in the factory, you'll see how complicated is the process and why each mark means something different.

Draft saved Draft deleted