Featured Moravian? 1880's Pennsylvania Tavern Dish? Redware? Earthenware

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Apr 10, 2020.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I'm thinking this little 6" bowl may be an old piece of Moravian pottery? Someone elsewhere suggested Pennsylvania tavern bowl/dish late 1800. It does have some issues but for it's age, It's a survivor. What do y'all think.[​IMG]

HiltonPottery.JPG HiltonPottery4.JPG

2. *crs*

Thanks for your input. Why do you think this is Czech? Approximate age? And like you said, why would it be here in the states? ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me. During the 1800s, European steerage-class emigrants had to cook their own meals aboard ship. My great-grandmother travelled with a frying pan when she came over from Germany. It's still in the family.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and *crs* like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Carl, I guess it goes back to Moravians being from Czechoslovakia.

Christmasjoy and *crs* like this.
  5. *crs*

I thought Moravians were of German decent? Janet

James Conrad likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Redware is based on the color of the clay. In the photo on my monitor it looks rather buff rather than red but there is some variance. My first though was that it was a plant pot saucer but I don't know.

I flipped through a few books and the very worst of them has a photo that resembles it in material if not exactly form or color. It has no helpful info on the item shown but this is a book on American redware so the author believed it was that. Closest I saw.

From Redware America's Folk Art Pottery by McConnell
    upload_2020-4-10_19-11-30.png

*crs* and James Conrad like this.
  7. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of them, too, among my collection of PA artifacts. I believe you will find they are pie dishes and they are stoneware. I never heard they were associated with the Moravians, though they may certainly have used them, too.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    *crs*, Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Moravia is the yellow one, lower right. part of the Austrian - or Habsburg - empire. Nix Deutsch - mixture of all people around; Austrian, Czech, Slovenian, even Ukranians, Jews and Hungarians.
    this item could come from anywhere. French for a Crème brûlée or Yoghurt with honey and walnuts from the Pyrenees etc..
    a frying pan sounds logic, especially if it's a good undestructible iron cast one.

kentworld and *crs* like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

German speakers for sure. There is an 18th century Moravian village in Winston Salem NC that still stands, interesting place. I think Moravians were Protestants who separated from the Catholic church in the 15th century, a dangerous thing to do back then. Many immigrated to PA & NC in the 18th century to escape religious strife.

18th century Moravian village in Winston Salem NC, note the sky line of modern day winston salem in background

old-salem-village-streetscape.jpg

anundverkaufen, kentworld and *crs* like this.
  10. James Conrad

"The settlement of Bethabara in what is today Winston-Salem, North Carolina, was founded on November 17, 1753 when fifteen Moravian brethren arrived after walking from Pennsylvania. The Moravians, or Unitas Fratrum (United Brethren), were German-speaking Protestants."
    https://www.cityofws.org/2159/Moravian-Story

i need help likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

all very nice and certainly interesting for local would-be historians, but has nothing to do with the original Moravia.
    here the facts in Wiki:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markgrafschaft_Mähren

in German, roll down to Ethnie and Religion.
    1. "Germans" was the name also given to German-speaking Austrians and were always a minority of not more than 29.2 %.
    2. Protestants were obviously a neglectable minority of 2.7 %, whereby they were not separated by nationality.

nobody that has an idea about European history and the numbers collected by one of the then best administrations in Vienna needs American village-talk and hearsay by Oma and Opa.

12. James Conrad

LOL, I am not sure what you are trying to say here, the WIKI link you provide is written in GERMAN!
    Are you saying the Moravians who settled in America in the 18th century did not speak German?

*crs* likes this.
  13. *crs*

I live in Asheboro, NC. About 45 minutes from Winston-Salem. I knew about the Moravian area there. That is one of the reasons I suspected Moravian

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ah! Was the search issue the ? at the end of the word without a space?

15. *crs*

Davey accidently removed the post

SBSVC likes this.
  16. James Conrad

Yeah i dunno, knows absolutely NADA about pottery but Moravians bought 100,000 acres there so not a small place back in the day.
    You might check the online collections at MESDA & Old Salem.

anundverkaufen and *crs* like this.
  17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gotcha, Carl!

*crs* likes this.
  18. James Conrad

LOL, Yeah, someone took offence to my comment that Moravians in America spoke german.
    I was typing a BLISTERING reply early the other morning and whole thread suddenly went nite nite.

*crs* likes this.
  19. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think Moravians came from Bohemia and Moravia and holed up in Germany for awhile. Why are we even talking about this? Can you ask the crocker farm people?

20. *crs*

That is a good suggestion Janet. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted