Featured More brooches MAY have taken place over the weekend...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, May 21, 2024.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I buy far too often from one lovely woman who squirrels things away for me. Sunday, there was another buyer who isn't well liked: she's acquisitive and not in a good way. So, she was sniffing round the nice woman's table and was most put out when a small box was scopped out from a pocket placed in my paw.

Would a tenner for both be ok? Oh yes. (I don't haggle with her that much, she's usually very reasonable.)

Unmarked, but I'm pretty the agate is in gold. The stone is a deep dark green, not black. And I think I was channelling my inner @Bronwen with Artemis. Any reflections are the bright acid top I had on!

P1270882.JPG P1270885.JPG P1270884.JPG P1270883.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Artemis/Diana it is. Always a good goddess to have with you.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You find such good things! I’ve hit a very dry spell! :rolleyes:
    I know what you mean about some buyers, they are so pushy and rude.

4. Ownedbybear

I’m a great believer in karma. Some of my best buys and even freebies have come from people I’ve done a favour or two for. I’ll haggle like a demon but with humour and politely.

This particular buyer woman isn’t liked by either side. And I know for a fact some sellers increase their prices to her.

Marko, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I know a few regulars like that here. She and her "boyfriend" (who's 60 at least) are both cordially despised by most. They don't seem to care.

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many arrogant blowhards are in the game.They get a gift of a deal and then loudly brag about it within earshot of the victim.You wanna look at the seller and yell-'Not with him/her-not with 'em !'

kyratango, Lucille.b and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I’ve been known to warn off some sellers.

8. bosko69

The blabbers pollute it for all Pickers.

Ownedbybear, Lucille.b and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

dry spell, like an arid desert, both buying and selling

got more tumbleweeds than buyers on ebay

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  10. charlie cheswick

funny though, always thought ebay selling was forever, but seems like the bottoms dropped out recently

i also thought i was gonna be a rock star, and that didn't really pan out either :playful:

11. evelyb30

One more reason I got out over a year ago. They trashed the search and blackmailed sellers with Promoted Listings. (which promote nothing but eBay's profit margins now). Meanwhile costume jewlery is supposed to be heating up, except no seller on eBay can make a buck at this point. If I decide to sell some of my stash it'll be in a real auction.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  12. charlie cheswick

evey, they've changed it recently

they have introduced a new plan where promoted listings can be added for free, but fees only added if seen promoted

13. evelyb30

They always had that - you only paid if the item sold. And the only way it was going to sell was if you paid a substantial fee to eBay. There are some more wrinkles, but eBay doesn't give anything away free.

kyratango likes this.
  14. charlie cheswick

ive tried promotional and not before, and it didn't make any difference to viewing figures

kyratango likes this.
  15. bosko69

i've been waiting for something better than Ebay for 15 years,just seems like they and Amazon signed a contract w/ Satan.
    PS-Better Brooches than Roaches !

charlie cheswick and kyratango like this.
  16. evelyb30

Some collectibles are going to Whatnot, especially if you're a seller who already has a following. Some younger folks are heading to Drip, and there are some other even smaller ones. I never moved off because my decent money sales were all international. The problem is a lot of those were to Russia, and...yep. G'bye.

17. bosko69

Lot of the Dealers I run into sell on FB Marketplace for their reg items-50's dinettes,etc.

18. evelyb30

For big stuff with no shipping available it's a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted