Featured more earrings - crystals? rhinestones? brass? base metal?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by SBSVC, Jun 19, 2018.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, here's another pair from the daughter's stash. I honestly don't have a clue! (This pair was NOT a gift from my sister...)

There are no marks anywhere - even on the posts. The center "jewel" in the main flower is different on the 2 earrings: one is sort of orangey-amber, the other clear. img0 (13).jpg

img0 (24).jpg
    img0 (22).jpg

Thanks, as always, for any input!

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very modern, with those textured backs. Mismatch is a bit odd, but they're pretty.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and SBSVC like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wonder whether one of the center jewels is a replacement? From your photos I'd guess the clear one might be.

Christmasjoy, tie.dye.cat and SBSVC like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Fig, I thought that, too. DD says they were like this when a friend gave them to her, but that doesn't mean much...

Does anyone think these are Austrian crystals or something similar?

Thanks again!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think just modern rhinestones. Not well enough set for Austrian or whatever.

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Excellent photos.

Agree -- modern. (1990s??) Looks like the rhinestones are glued in, so not super high end but maybe a bit better than the current made in China stuff.

Problem with selling unsigned pieces like this online-- you might have a hard time finding buyers as there is no good way to advertise. Guessing that "rhinestone pierced earrings" are in the tens or thousands on Ebay. People sometimes have designers they follow, and although some unsigned vintage pieces sometimes sell well (based on looks with the hopes they are unsigned designer) I think it is much harder for the more modern unsigned stuff. Not to say the earrings aren't pretty and wearable, but getting the right eyes on them might be hard.

Depending on how much you have, you might consider selling in a lot, or if you have a good local consignment place. Get some earring backs and you'd be good to go.

Keep the questions coming! I'm enjoying looking at the jewelry stash! :):)

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you both, Owned & Lucille. Rhinestones were my original guess, but what do I know??? (To me, they looked like rather gaudy, modern, errrr... dare I say "junk" - but, hey, they are colorful & cheery!)

Lucille, I DO have the backs - I just took them off for the photos.

I've done pretty well consigning jewelry, but the place I use doesn't take anything under $500 in value, so these certainly can't go there (well, I could dream, BUT...)

Not too long ago, I DID try listing one "lot" of 12 or 13 costume jewelry items on eBay, but it went unsold, even as I kept reducing the price, week after week. When it got down to $8.99 (with free shipping) and still had no takers, I decided not to list it again. I'd rather just give it away!

Thanks again for your input!

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The Chinese import jewelry is sometimes made with Swarovski crystals.

If you want to go to the trouble, you could probably replace the mismatched stone with one that matches.

Does jewelry sell well on Etsy?

Christmasjoy, kyratango and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted