Featured More Ebay goodies, opinions as always welcome!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all, happy Easter! Got a few little jewelry lots from Ebay today which was a nice surprise. Nothing particularly old but a few nice bits. As always I would appreciate any suggestions on age, anything that would sell well on it's own (rather than a lot which I usually do), material and any other info. Thank you! :happy: P.S photo dump alert!:snaphappy:

1. Ring marked 'Whiting and Davis'
    2. Brooch no markings
    3. Brooch that reads 'A533' and 'SP' something in an oval (cannot read), missing a few stones
    4. Brooch marked 'Jeanne'-can't find much out about this maker? Marcasites?
    5. Clip on earrings-Marcasites?
    6.Pierced earrings marked 'KJL'-Kenneth J Lane?
    7. Small necklace no marks-what does the hook attach to?!
    8. Small necklace marked 'Vogue Jlry'- milk glass?
    9. Necklace, plastic beads
    10. Necklace marked 'Japan', ceramic or plastic beads
    11.Heavy necklace, no marks

EbayLotNos.jpg image1 (81).jpeg image7 (31).jpeg image8 (16).jpeg image9 (11).jpeg EbayLotNosNecklaces.jpg image4 (51).jpeg image3 (60).jpeg image6 (40).jpeg image5 (47).jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1. Ring marked 'Whiting and Davis' - 1960s/70s costume The company is known for metal mesh.

2. Brooch no markings - back says "new", so no telling.

3. Brooch that reads 'A533' and 'SP' something in an oval (cannot read), missing a few stones - Sphynx????

4. Brooch marked 'Jeanne'-can't find much out about this maker? Marcasites? - Costume name. 1960s probably

5. Clip on earrings-Marcasites? 1980s doorknockers. Pure costume

6.Pierced earrings marked 'KJL'-Kenneth J Lane? Yep

7. Small necklace no marks-what does the hook attach to?! Itself; the other end of the clasp is the big rhinestone

8. Small necklace marked 'Vogue Jlry'- milk glass? Looks like. Vogue was a 50s/60s name

9. Necklace, plastic beads - more 1980s costume, no particular maker

10. Necklace marked 'Japan', ceramic or plastic beads - total 1980s necklace

11.Heavy necklace, no marks - Sarah Coventry or Coro - one of the two used that dangle in the 1960s. I forget which.

3. Elen Beattie

Wow thank you so much! Yes I think you are right with 'Sphynx' the end does look like an 'X', I will have to Google it.

judy and KSW like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was/is a British costume jewelry company. Made some NICE stuff, back when. They molded design numbers into their jewelry backs.

pearlsnblume, judy and KSW like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Typical that one had to be in not great shape! I think they spell it 'Sphinx'. Thanks for the info, don't think I would have figured that mark out!

pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Nice lot!. It’s such fun researching all the marks. That’s a classic Sphinx style, they copied earlier styles very well.
    I like the milk glass at the bottom.
    Don’t forget to check the clasps carefully too as sometimes they are marked.

Elen Beattie and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sphinx rather than with a Y. Yes, numbers were used. They did a lot of Victorian Revival like that, it's copying a mourning brooch.

Elen Beattie, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  8. Elen Beattie

It is a lot of fun! I love finding older pieces hidden amongst the vintage. Didn't happen with this lot but hopefully the next one :)

pearlsnblume, Vic23 and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted