Featured More Mom's Vintage Jewelry gold tone pin marked

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by janettekay, Jul 15, 2021.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Hi again...another piece from mom. 1 inch round gold tone pin with pearls and blue stones. I am unable to read the mark even with my loop ..and pictures hard to take as pin on back does not move out of way! Thanks for any help. pin resized 1.JPG pin resized 2.JPG

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Janette, I hope you don't mind, I lightened the photos, maybe that will help get you some answers :)

PinFront.jpg PinBack.jpg

3. janettekay

Thanks so much. Having problems with my camera..and never did get the hang of photos with my phone....!

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem is your light source is coming from the back so what we need to see is in shadow. Taking photos is tough, lighting can be the hardest part!

janettekay likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely brooch, Janette. It looks like 'Victorian Revival' costume to me, very popular in the post-WW II period. I don't know the mark, but suspect it is a US company.

George Chaney and janettekay like this.
  6. janettekay

Thanks...As it is missing some stones...as most of mom's stuff was...:( guess it will go in thrift store box.

Any Jewelry and Janice Nicholls like this.
  7. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

Very pretty. I unfortunately have many pieces from Estate Sales with missing stones/gems! I have no idea what to do with them, since some are obviously old and interesting.

8. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

I sell them as a repair/restore lot. Sometimes these do pretty well.

Any Jewelry and Janice Nicholls like this.
  9. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

Thank you! I will try that.

Pattywithay likes this.
  10. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I keep a box for anything decent that is missing stones, and do repair lots on ebay a few times a year. They usually do pretty well. I also sell high end repair pieces individually sometimes.
    I have learned from experience that replacing stones is not a job for these clumsy hands. I had to relearn that recently. Had a nice piece, all stones present, but 1 stone glued in off center out of the cup. Looked so easy to remove, cleanout excess dried glue and re-glue. By the time I was done, I had a poorly re-glued stone, and in all the handling, I lost a stone! I do work over a sticky pad, but the lost stone was nowhere to be found. Lesson learned - again!

11. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

I was given lots of good advice on seeing marks on my recent thread titled:
    "Beautiful carved flower ?jade? pin--Any info appreciated"

Here are two posts from that thread:
    I found Aznathalie's post to be very helpful. It is for an app that is magnifier. Also, if you use a mac and you open the image in "Preview" there is a tool called "magnifier" that works like a real magnifier.
    I also found Pattywithay's post to be helpful as I did not know there are 30x loupes.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted