More than a yard long framed silk embroidery.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Mill Cove Treasures, May 11, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Measures 41" by 7". Is this machine made or hand embroidered? How old do you think this is? A small piece of the backing paper slipped inside on the larger bird and there is a small water stain on the bottom. I haven't found another one but I may be searching with the wrong terminology. What would you call it? Is it Asian? I couldn't find any info on the framer other than being mentioned in other listings. It was difficult to photograph without getting glare from the glass & the material. Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cxgirl and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Mill Cove, I would say hand-done Chinese embroidery on silk.

If you search for just that (Chinese embroidery on silk) you'll find many examples (in different sizes) with the cranes & all.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Joshua Brown, judy and SBSVC like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Some of them are truly gorgeous, aren't they? The cranes always look so elegant!

5. Mill Cove Treasures

I've been looking through Google images and it's like eye candy. I found some Japanese pieces that had tiny touches of color to the crane heads like this piece so I'm wondering if this is Japanese?

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I usually think Japanese first when I see art including cranes, but that's not necessarily an expert thought.

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm going to stick with Chinese, but as always, I could be wrong!

Here's a bit of detail from a (definitely Chinese) painting I have hanging in my living room. Note the color on the crane's head:

DSC06323.JPG

8. Mill Cove Treasures

My post wasn't very clear. The Japanese pieces that I found were more monochromatic with only small touches of color like the one I posted, also less elaborate designs. Although I have seen a few monochromatic pieces attributed to China, the Chinese pieces seem to have more elaborate decorations and aren't quite as simple.

SBSVC likes this.
  9. Mill Cove Treasures

By the way, I like your painting.

SBSVC likes this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aw, thanks, Mill Cove! That's just a corner of it. It's about 42" square and looks pretty good over one of my large display curios, if I say so myself!

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love it! Just an impression, but the font on the label reminds me of mid 20th century (1940s-1960s).

Of course the textile could be much older than the frame.

12. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks Figtree, I was thinking 1930's/50's because of the frame. I didn't get the 60's from the frame.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted