morel mushroom cast iron doorstop? Yard ornament? Id

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rink28, Jul 27, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi, i picked this cast iron morel mushroom up today at a local thrift shop. when holding it in the store i didnt notice any markings or name but when i got home in better lighting i did notice that it appears to have a number 9 in the last picture? Im not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me or if it could be part of a date. Unfortunately the rest of the paint is covering it. Also the bottom has a lot of rough scratches/grinding look like its been rubbed back and forth on a concrete surface. I tried to do some research online but could not find anything similar. Was wondering if anyone could help me id it possibly? Any info would be great! Thank you! Measures 4 1/4 in tall.

morel1.jpg morel2.jpg morel3.jpg

aaroncab and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there's more than one number there. Looks like four of them, so I agree, a date is possible. Any way you can put tracing paper over than spot and use pencil to rub it?

A lot smaller than I expected from your first pic.

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I tried to do the pencil rubbing but it didnt really show anything. There is more numbers but paint is in the way unfortunately.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, it was worth a shot to try.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Rink, I think my image came up pretty close to yours, even with playing with all sorts of tricks......just couldn't bring any more out........would a bit of paint remover help any.....on the bottom??

ZZZZZZ morel2.jpg

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's actually the last picture if you zoom up in the last picture you will see the spot where there is no paint and you can make out a number 9 and there are other numbers as well. If you could do what you did in the pic above to the last pic I posted it might show better

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

What a great thing (to go in my collection of yellow things)! :)

i need help likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Rink, try as I might, and I see the '9' you are referring to, but I just cannot bring any more out of your image.......am totally bleary eyed at this point and have to quit!!! Gave it the "old college try".....and I also have a ton of filters to try as well......for ME at least, I personally can't get more out of it.......dearly wish I could for you!!!

ZZZZZZ morel22XX.jpg

judy likes this.
  9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I meant the picture with half my hand in it was the one I was referring to. The picture with my hand in it if you zoom up you can see the number in the spot on the edge where there is some paint loss.

10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

20190727_210800.jpg

One way - don't know how helpful?

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Says 1994 to me.

Jivvy, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see it quite clearly ... 1994

Jivvy and judy like this.
  13. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Too small/top heavy for a doorstop?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted