Moscow? Orthodox Church; Pointillist? Watercolor, Faint Signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, Jul 21, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Apparent* image size 7" X 9¼". Watercolor, and perhaps not pointillist, but finely done without obvious outline by tiny dabs of color. The pinkish upper sky seems to bring out all the various reddish shades in the building. The framing is very modern, so I may open it up.

*Thin, narrow exposure paper mask beneath the bevelled mat, so image looks full-bleed.

Any ideas about the signature, or era? I can barely make out 'Mocb..' as the first 4 characters of the legend line...but all the rest escapes me. Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_9963.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9962.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9966.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9961.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not even close to pointillist.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Москва is Moscow in cyrillic alphabet. I suspect you'll need a member who reads the Russian language. @Figtree3 perhaps.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree that it wouldn't be considered an example of Pointillism. And, fyi, Pointillist paintings are typical done in oil because the colors are unlikely to bleed into each other.

Debora

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd guess St Basil's Cathedral with the Moscow Kremlin behind (with a bit of artistic license).
    istockphoto-951246910-1024x1024.jpg

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It is St. Basils and Ive got an oil on board of the very same scene .Very popular with tourists.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for tagging me. I can't make out enough of the other letters in order to read the rest of it. It looks like the scene has been identified, though. I will also tag @Aznathalie . I believe she is a native speaker of Russian. Maybe she can read the writing.

8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

An' these definetly do bleed: my ignorance is on display. Is there a name for this watercolor technique? Here re a couple close-up shots.

fullsizeoutput_9a7b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9a7a.jpeg

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just watercolour is fine.
    It is a pretty souvenir of Moscow, meant to please the eye. No need to be overly scholarly imo.

Draft saved Draft deleted