Featured Moser? Help identifying

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by j thomas, Nov 8, 2021.

1. j thomas

j thomas New Member

Hello, i'm new to this site and i hope i'm posting this to the appropriate place. I recently acquired this heavy czech glass decanter with two glasses. It appears to be very similar to other Moser pieces i located online but i cannot find anything about the label on the bottle. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I had to crop the main photo to bring it below the upload size cap.
    thank you! PXL_20211107_032931762~3.jpg PXL_20211107_032947135~4.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

*crs*, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know, but it sure is pretty. I'd try taking a glass out in daylight and see if it's a different color. Then run it under a fluorescent bulb (not one of the new ones) and see what you get. A color change doesn't mean Moser, but it does mean neodynum glass.

judy likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Oskar Pursch ?

judy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The word is neodymium. ;) It's a rare earth element added to glass to achieve colour change in different light temperatures. It goes blue to lilac. Other rare earths do different changes.

I agree with Fid.

Lovely set.

DizzyDaff and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. evelyb30

Joolies call it alexandrite glass; my brain farted on the chemical name.

7. Ownedbybear

It gets called alexandrite by glass peeps, too. I'm as much a chemistry geek as a botany one. ;)

8. evelyb30

When I hear Neodymium I have to ask myself "OK, is this a piece of glass or a magnet". Old school speaker magnets are neodymium, as a magnet fishing devices. (magnet fishing is a sort of fun way to clean iron-based junk out of rivers, streams, lakes etc. Fun if you're dead bored, like regular fishing, only you don't have to worry about size limits or bag limits.)

ascot likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Magnet fishing is huge here. London canals are full of all sorts of weird stuff.

10. evelyb30

I guess when an area's been indistrialized for 250 years there's no telling what's gone over the side.

11. Ownedbybear

There's a tendency to find the odd unexploded bomb or two, we've a few of those still.

12. evelyb30

Oops. Not sure I'd want to hook into one of those! Unstable explosives aren't my idea of a good time.

13. Ownedbybear

Huge ones are still found: builders unearthed a 500 lb one not that far from me about four years ago.

14. evelyb30

Some of them make the papers even over here. I wouldn't have wanted to hit that thing with a bulldozer. Talk about digging a foundation hole the hard way.

Draft saved Draft deleted