Featured Moser Vase w/Stand

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kellaurm, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Toldya not my field. I thought it was just a beautifully vivid green paint/glaze. Glass makes much more sense. I pinned down Tell; you guys take it from here.

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

When I first looked at it it looked porcelain to me too and then I noticed I could see through to the decoration on the other side. Telling us about Tell takes Tellent! I'm always amazed at how quickly you identify characters and scenes ...not just on cameos.

3. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Yes the amount of knowledge others have always astounds me. So much to learn!

4. Bronwen

An amateur's observation: this vase is far better than anything I can find attributed to Moser. Moser's stuff looks like cheap copies in comparison.

upload_2018-6-14_20-30-42.png

kyratango likes this.
  5. kellaurm

Keep the comments coming. I'd love to know more about the portraits and why.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. kellaurm

I have to strongly disagree with you. That is not the closest you will find in style. I can post at least 20 different pieces closer in style, attributed to Moser. The gold application is hardly sloppy. It is a fine gold gilding, very characteristic of a lot of Moser pieces. You etsy link vase is much lesser quality. Sorry.

judy likes this.
  8. aaroncab

kyratango and judy like this.
  9. aaroncab

INH was saying the gold work was sloppy and doubted the Moser attribution on the Etsy piece, not on yours. I think. :)

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. i need help

I meant the Etsy one was sloppy! Simmer Down!

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

I think you two are crossing wires. INH is not saying it is very like your vase, only that nothing was found that looked more like it, expressing doubt about whether the etsy piece is actually Moser since the gilding looks sloppy. Nothing negative was said about your vase; the conclusion is that yours is better.

12. kellaurm

Oh okay, that makes a lot more sense.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  13. Bronwen

We were all crossing paths.

14. kellaurm

I read that entire post the wrong way. Sorry!

15. i need help

It happens, maybe I didn’t word it properly. ;)

judy likes this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful piece, wonderful the stand is still with it. I had a look through a couple of books on Bohemian glass, Hosch did pieces with stands similar to this. I'm sure other companies did too.
    @kellaurm do you use Facebook? If so post to this group, someone might know. If you don't use Facebook I can post the photos there for you.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/212827135403330/

Lucille.b, kyratango and judy like this.
  17. kellaurm

Thanks, I've tried a few other Facebook groups and some others have mentioned Harrach and Lobmeyr, so I will try the other group you mentioned too. Do you have any photos of the other pieces you saw in your book?

judy and cxgirl like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'll have to take a photo in a bit, my camera is charging at the moment.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why don't you then.
    Help us, to help you ....

kyratango, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  20. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

In my opinion, the OP's vase is not Moser. The quality is not there. It's nice, but not up to Moser standards. Examine the third picture. It is sloppy and would not be allowed out of the Moser factory.

The only way to tell for sure if a piece is Moser is to look for a mark. Not all Moser was marked, but a lot was. Unmarked pieces may be Moser, but that can't be proven, as other companies were doing work that was close in quality.

Old William Tell looks like a transfer and I don't remember Moser using transfers, but I haven't seen them all.

All opinion and your mileage may vary.

Fid, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted