Featured Moss Agate Brooch (Victorian??) and Carnelian bracelet.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've been on the hunt in the last few days for a Moss Agate piece. Someone I know requested a "Moss Agate necklace or earrings" for an upcoming birthday gift idea. She's not totally into antiques (like I am) but looking around online, it seemed like the more interesting examples of Moss Agate were in older pieces. Had great fun looking at "antique Moss Agate" jewelry on Ebay, it's something to keep an eye out for based on prices.

Checked out a few jewelry spots in town, almost nothing. A bead store had one modern (likely made in India) pendant, very milky in color, no translucence and I'm not sure would even be classified as Moss Agate. Even the gem store didn't have anything.

Just about to give up and went in a consignment store where incredibly I found not a necklace, not earrings, but an older looking brooch! First thing, I've never been one to date things by the brooch clasps, but I think here learned that when the pin extends past the edge of the brooch, it suggests Victorian. Do I have that correct for this one?

There is a tiny loop where this could also be used as a pendant. It's quite small and I almost wondered if added after the fact. I'm not sure this is the final item for the gift but obviously wasn't passing on it. Worst case I'll keep it!

While I was at the consignment store, wound up getting this bracelet, too. I think Carnelian. So wanted to confirm the brooch is Victorian, and would love to date the bracelet? 1920's-40's?

anewmoss.jpg

moss4.jpg

moss5.jpg

moss8.jpg

moss6a.jpg

moss6b.jpg

moss9.jpg

Curious about anything you can tell me about either piece. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    stracci, mirana, Dessert58 and 12 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The little ring on the brooch is a place to attach a safety chain, although people do often enough put a jump ring through to make a pendant. Lots of 'moss' in that one. Good solidly made mount.

3. Bronwen

If you put the brooch on the way a right handed person would naturally do it, you'll find the little ring is on the bottom.

4. Bronwen

The hinge is definitely 20th century & does not look like a replacement. The pin stem extends a little way past the C catch for a more secure attachment.

5. Lucille.b

Thank you Bronwen! The safety chain makes total sense as to what that little ring was for. But maybe could be modified to be a pendant? I'd have to add a bigger loop to it.

I appreciate the thoughts and observations about this Moss Agate brooch. :)

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Love them both Lucille and would have snapped them up in a heart beat! I agree with Bronwen's dating of the pin, I would say 1st quarter of the 20th century, but that's JMHO :)

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

how about that for finding what you want, it usually never works out like that

i personally don't like moss agate at all, has to be my least favourite of all the stones

Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Moss Agate is very earthy. I never thought one way or the other about it before starting my search this week, now I'm a bit obsessed.

This consignment store has a huge jewelry section, and I asked if they had any Moss Agate pieces, and they said they didn't think so. Literally 15 seconds later I spotted this one.

9. charlie cheswick

earthy is a very good way of describing it, id like to see a piece that changes my opinion of it

Dessert58, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  10. charlie cheswick

just looks like pond life to me :)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What luck to find what you were looking for!
    It’s a beautiful piece too, such a lovely present, I’m sure she will love it :)

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, Lucille, and I agree with everything @Bronwen said.:)
    Pendants are generally vertically oriented, rather than horizontally, so you'd have to try out if it has the right balance. Also, the ring points in, rather than down or up, which could add to the balance issue. Maybe try by hanging it on a thread? (Safely.)

The sweet bracelet is 1920s-30s imo. The carnelian could be carnelian glass.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  13. Lucille.b

Follow up on the brooch.

For some reason when AJ mentioned that a pendant would be best vertically oriented (agree!) it jogged my memory and remembered I had these pin adapters that someone here on the board sent me, maybe 6 years ago. TieDyeCat, I think. I don't think she's posted in a while, hope all is well on her end.

Anyway...did a little digging and found it! I think this is the perfect solution. Doesn't alter the pin in any way, and is a fix of sorts.

a.jpg

a3.jpg
    a2.jpg

kyratango, stracci, mirana and 4 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is! Now why didn't I think of that, I have a couple of those myself!:shame: I was going along with using the attached ring and didn't think any further.:rolleyes:

15. Kate Q

Kate Q Active Member

Love that! I didn't know such adapters existed, that’s awesome! I just saw some moss agate beads in a store today, I like the variegated look

Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I have seen a handful of early 20th c brooches where the tiny ring does have a tiny bail attached, so it is sometimes a possiblity, but with orientation of this one getting "on bottom" compared to the pin hinge, I'll agree this one is for a safety chain.

I love the different varieties of agate. I want a moss at some point. This one is beautiful!

The pin adapter is a fantastic solution. For max safety, I would slide it so the hinge is on top, and then get one of those rubber earring backs to slide up the pin needle after the converter. Sometimes those C catches come undone and I've had an earring back save me a couple of times.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  17. Lucille.b

Thank you, Mirana. :) It's a good suggestion to reverse the adapter, I actually tried it that way first but then reversed it for the following reason. The sharp pin, which extends a bit past the edge, was now sticking out of the bottom in the open air. It seemed like it might either cut clothing or skin. Now it is sticking up, but the bail from the adapter is next to it, so maybe will sort of block the pin.

I didn't think about the C clasp being a danger of opening, but that's a very valid point. Hmmmm. Clever idea about using a rubber earring back.

The gift recipient can play with this. She's pretty smart, and who knows may figure out a 3rd possibility.

I am officially obsessed with moss agate now. In my search for the "perfect gift", I browsed lot of what is on Ebay (Antique and vintage only --- there's a mountain of newer pieces out of India), and boy, antique moss agate jewelry is on my radar now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    mirana, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I've used brooches as pendants and I have had one or two "stick" me but it's just the feeling of pressure and nothing serious. I only ever worry about it if I'm wearing silk since I don't want it to pull threads.

Moss agate is one of those rocks that makes you amazed at what nature can create. Dendritic too. I'm sure your recipient will be so excited to get one that's so big and detailed!

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted