Mother of Pearl Cameo? Ring? Marked: MT .925

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ScanticAntiques, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>"MT" mark meaning it was made in Italy (MT standing for Matera, the province it was made in), but I don't know how accurate that is.<

I don't think this MT stands for Matera. This MT almost looks like it has a dot after each letter. The provinces' abbreviations do not use dots. I wouldn't be surprise if this is not Italian made. Italian silver standard marks are in oval cartouches. This .925 doesn't look like it is in an oval. As the space on this ring is quite small for punching in the markings, some of the marks probably were left off. Nowwww Italian markings can at times be haphazard. Official markings for Italian silver are as follows. The Official National marks included the provinces' abbreviation in the cartouches.

1934-1944 the Italian maker's marks were lozenges shaped cartouches cut off at each end. The silversmith's number was on the left, a fasces symbol for the Fascist gov. in the middle, and province 2 letter abbreviation on the right. The silver standard was in a separate oval cartouche.

1944 to 1968 the maker's marks were the same shape, but the fasces symbol was no longer used. Silver standard was still in an oval cartouche.

1968 to present the cartouches are rectangular shape with points at each end. Inside the cartouche on the left is a star, silversmith's number in the middle and province abbreviation on the right. No dots are used with the province abbreviations. The silver standard markings are still in an oval cartouche.

FWIW, I concur on it probably being a relatively new ring. My guess is no earlier than the mid 1950s??

--- Susan

mymysharona43 likes this.
  2. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

We all agree it is a more modern ring, but with zillions of jewelry styles I have had many very pretty vintage pieces with glued in marcasites and prong set. I actually believe most pieces I'v owned were glued in. Jewelry is very diverse, no end to the possibilities
    Always impressed with your searching skills Susan!

3. mymysharona43

They can also be set like diamonds or good stones with tiny tabs of metal to hold them in some really nice pieces

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I was going by the back clips holding the cameo to the inside of the bezel,what looks like glue I thought was the shell? Also the marcasites looked like cut steel to me?

5. mymysharona43

yu could be right just too hard to tell from the pictures,
    I once had a costume pin with dozens of prong set marcasites. The metal was some kind of gold painted metal and it was reacting with the marcasites, rusting the prongs over time, probably cheap metal...?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This isn't old at all - 80s or later, and odds on much later. The more I look the newer it gets. The marks on the back are probably Thai rather than Italian, or maybe Chinese.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I would clean the poor thing and then see what you have....its difficult to see the detail on some jewelry and pics can either make it or break it.

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's really hard to tell from these photos.

9. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

It looks like a new reproduction to me. Like what you might buy from the brand 1928 Jewelry. The .925 doesn't seem consistent with what I'm seeing, but I don't claim to be an expert.

Draft saved Draft deleted