Featured MOTHER OF PEARL TRINKET BOX

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lisaS, Feb 18, 2020.

1. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

A6760462-BA5B-49B7-A71A-0BA9B8D760CB.jpeg 3DC0669F-90D5-4274-AE44-7085964840C1.jpeg 29203F55-0010-4E71-8B32-C0EBBE82A1DF.jpeg ADB41ECD-24DC-4A43-9167-F5F34796EA2E.jpeg C26B95C2-20A0-4D98-8680-68B3488CBE88.jpeg Hi all! Does anybody know what this trinket box is made of? Definitely mother of Pearl decor??

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lisa, is it perhaps alabaster or a similar stone? I remember that my Grandmother had drink coasters that looked a lot like this.

kyratango, Any Jewelry, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  3. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

It looks quite old and is a beautiful piece :)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Alabaster seems correct; these have been popular in the import stores for many years, so I'm not sure how to date it; but I'd guess India as the country of origin.

RichardE, kyratango, judy and 6 others like this.
  5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe I started seeing similar in stores around the 1980s-'90s, they're usually marble or soapstone set with MOP and stone, or sometimes just stone inlay.

Here is one from Hallmark's Crowning Touch Collection:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/698807...=sr_gallery-1-31&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

And here are some new ones from India:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/767089...llery-1-45&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1

https://rexpo.com/stx30.html

https://www.marbleinlaycrafts.com/marble-boxes.html

~Cheryl

judy, aaroncab, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. giotto

giotto Active Member

Cheryl is correct ,India, I have an Italian jewellery box for comparison ,it is basically a copy of pietra dura that has been done in Italy for hundreds of years. Mine was made in Italy.

Regards Giotto

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an alabaster and mother of pearl and black stone (onyx, marble?) inlaid box from Agra, India. It is based on Mughal alabaster inlay like on the famous Taj Mahal in Agra.
    Agra is still full of workshops where this kind of work is made, mostly using semi-precious stones, but also some mop. This box doesn't look very old to me.

Details of the Taj Mahal:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RichardE, judy, DragonflyWink and 4 others like this.
  10. giotto

giotto Active Member

11. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hello Any Jewelry
    Here we go again ,are you talking about my box that I posted?
    If you are,You are 150% wrong.There is nothing Indian about my box ,go and do your home work.It seems you do not known the difference between the two .It is like Saying Indian wine is the same as French wine.
    It seems some of the members here do not get their facts right when giving their opinions.

Regards Giotto.

12. giotto

giotto Active Member

Sorry I forgot to mention ,the fact you have said my box has mother of pearl ,shows me you do not know anything about Italian pietra dura ,as my box DOES NOT HAVE ANY MOTHER OF PEARL IN IT AT ALL. And for your information the box was made around 1880-90 or earlier.
    As I said to Dave earlier I am on this forum to give and receive knowledge with facts to prove my opinions,hope you can come up with some facts to prove it is Indian.

Regards Giotto.

13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

There appears to be some confusion. I'm sure Any Jewelry was talking about the original poster's box (LisaS's) not yours (Giotto's).
    Lisa's is a box from India, and Any Jewelry's remarks were correct, and informative.
    I think you, Giotto, owe Any Jewelry an apology; some of your remarks bordered on being rather rude, and were entirely unnecessary, since the confusion was yours, not hers.
    And if anyone feels my own remarks are improper, allow me to apologize in advance for any inadvertent offense.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  14. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

@giotto

I totally agree with the above. We truly try to be civil here..please do the same.

Jet, BoudiccaJones, judy and 4 others like this.
  15. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hello Allfakes
    I do Apologize if I have Read Any Jewelry's comment wrong,Because images of my box were just on top of her post I assumed she was talking about my box.It seems she either did not see my box and ignored it all together.When she made her comments.
    I do again apologize ,I am very sorry if I have offended you Any Jewelry .
    I am not here to make enemies,I am here to have fun and learn.
    Regards Giotto.
    Thanks Allfakes for picking me up on the confusion.

16. Any Jewelry

What is that supposed to mean? If you have an issue with something I said in another thread, please explain.
    I have no idea why you think I was talking about your box, I think it was clear from both my reply and the photos I posted that I was talking about Lisa's box.
    Excuse me?
    You posted something that, though beautiful, bears little relation to Lisa's box, just like you posted a Swiss Brienzer carving in an Indonesian Bali Art Deco thread. Talk about homework, really. While the items you posted are interesting, that doesn't make the core of a thread about your postings.
    It is up to members to reply to other items than the original post, and they will mention it if they do so.
    Giotto, it is clearly you who didn't get your facts straight before giving an opinion, which was very much a personal attack.
    I will add that I do not appreciate the insulting expression of your totally off the mark remarks. This is not that kind of forum, maybe you will be happier in a forum with a more agressive communication.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  17. Any Jewelry

Thank you Steve. I had no idea what hit me at first, and really appreciate your explanation and defense.
    Confusion is one thing, but people can always ask. And certainly not go into attack mode.

Ownedbybear, all_fakes, judy and 3 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Since I did not say one single word about your box, it follows that I did not say your box was inlaid with mother of pearl nor did I say anything about the age of your box. A matter of simple logic.
    Also, my not mentioning anything about your box means there is nothing at all that could show you that I do not know anything about Italian pietra dura. I think other posts on Antiquers show you that I do. I can only advise you to read those before you give an opinion on my knowledge of Italian pietra dura.
    And what is with the capital letters? Shouting? Again, not appreciated.

I am not upset with your confusion, that can happen. But I am very upset with your senseless agression towards me.

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7AB3CA31-B719-4363-B7B7-94AC388BED99.jpeg Misunderstandings happen here from time to time. I try to hold my tongue until I’m sure of the intention. Anyway, it just makes things go awry if can not respectfully disagree. Just my two cents. :)

20. lisaS

lisaS Active Member

Hi all, I thank you all for your input on this beautiful box of mine. It’s awesome that someone knows what my box is made of...... Alabaster, mother of Pearl and black stone;):):) I hope everyone’s ok, life is too short to waste on stress. I value everyone’s input when I post as I know you all know your stuff.
    Carpe Diem my friends!!!!:kiss:

all_fakes, Jet, judy and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted