Featured Mottled Glass Lamp Shade - search terms

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 29, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I don't own this, but I probably could if I get there early enough to be at the head of the line when it comes up for sale. I only have one picture, which doesn't show the mottled white spots in the amber yellow shade. It is small. I wanted to do some research about it, but I don't know the search terms. I only have this one picture. The framework has a bird head, so I think there is some theme. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please.

IMG_7874.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I don't know that much about them, but has the look of a Tiffany style or a similar style.....and I've highlighted where I see the bird in the design.......it's nice!!! Maybe @blooey, @Ghopper1924, @verybrad or @anundverkaufen ????

AND look as I might, couldn't come up with any decent examples!!!!! Sorry! BUT, if you get there early, CAREFULLY turn it upside down (HANG ONTO THAT SHADE!!!!) AND look carefully for a signature on the bottom AND......look on the inside of the shade too!!!

IMG_7874-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Sorry not seen anything like this before:(

4. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for doing this. I'm glad to highlighted the bird. It was hard to see amongst the other pieces. I wasn't sure who the potential experts were. I believe that it is a modern piece or at least not antique. It is unusual and different from my 6 other glass shade lamps. I have a place for it, if I find it's something interesting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    pearlsnblume, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

DOUBLE check what I posted......I added to it!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

6. KikoBlueEyes

I haven't either. I've seen a lot of glass shades here, but nothing like this. I spent an hour trying various searches and got nowhere. Thanks for looking.

pearlsnblume, blooey and Aquitaine like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Will do, but I will have to snatch and pay before I can really examine it, as it will be a hot ticket item.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, verybrad, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  9. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

10. KikoBlueEyes

My conclusion too - someone's modern take on stained glass but who knows for sure. Thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Super detective work. I love information like this. I never imagined that this was a real antique. All my stained glass lamps (except one that was made new 20 years ago) are modern reproductions - perhaps a higher quality than this one, though. I'm so glad you found what it is supposed to represent. This is what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    pearlsnblume, komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not an antique, but designed by someone who was familiar with art nouveau motifs. Very attractive. Hope you get it, Kiko!

13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I've wondered about the metal, it appears to have been chemicallyi stripped, or, never plated. I would have expected an antiqued bronze finish.

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Same opinion, thanks for the links, James.

judy, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you GHopper. One day, I hope to run across an antique one that I could afford. In some ways, that's why I buy newer things, so I can tell the good stuff when it comes along. Tuesday, I'll have a look at the price, and then I'll have to wait until they sell the things in the window.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Good question. It could be an older reproduction or a cheap pot metal version. I can't touch or feel it until I wait in line to buy it.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks Anti. James' information was very helpful, wasn't it. Sometimes this place prices things way too high, when they think they are antiques. I can make a quick assessment with his information if the price point is reasonable.

judy, antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A bit late to the party. Agree that this is not antique and suspect a fairly modern import. The base is a repro of a well known antique base. The shade is unlike most antique shades. Few did overlays over blown shades. The notable exception being some of the French art deco makers. Even then, theirs were not usually cage-blown, as this one is.

judy, antidiem and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes, I've actually had and sold this same base before.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Verybrad. Thanks so much for this information. Cage blown meaning the glass intrudes past the metal because the metal is the framework when the shade was blown? I noticed that but didn't know what that meant. I did a quick search on "over blown" but came up with nothing. I'll have to work a little harder.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted