Featured Murano (?) art glass bowl: need ID help (more images in thread)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by PeteToday, Apr 1, 2020.

1. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Hi, I have an art glass bowl I believe to be from Murano, but I don't know anything about it: the designer, the style, the type, all of those kind of specific details. Would appreciate any help you can give. Sorry the label is so beat up.

IMG_5539.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 3.07.21 PM.png

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Pete:) can you post a side view and bottom of the piece?

PeteToday likes this.
  3. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Sure. (Excuse cat hair/bad photography)

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 4.06.14 PM.png IMG-5581.JPG

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Reminds me a bit of this Murano Alfredo Barbini folded dish, maybe you can explore that direction. 42C1BD86-B5E6-43A9-95B6-805158A4A271.jpeg 18D0EA0D-6704-465D-AE20-C6BD95B2A3BD.jpeg

6. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

That name comes up a lot with Murano art glass; I'll check it out. Thanks!

Houseful likes this.
  7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

A lot of Murano makers made these types of bowls. Will be difficult to get a rock solid positive maker ID, unless that remnant of the sticker is revealing some clue.

judy, PeteToday and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

"A lot of Murano makers made these types of bowls. Will be difficult to get a rock solid positive maker ID"

That's my impression too. Ideally I'd like to find a bowl very similar to mine with a label like mine (intact), but so far I've found bowls that are only somewhat similar, and often unlabeled. Like this one, from an eBay listing: It has a white exterior, as mine does, a similarly simple shape, and a single-color interior, but it doesn't have the thick amber rim that mine does, or any label:

s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16003.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That orange and white one is Japanese.

judy likes this.
  10. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

"Reminds me a bit of this Murano Alfredo Barbini folded dish, maybe you can explore that direction."

Found this bowl, and it got my attention because it has an amber rim similar to mine. The dealer says "It is documented to Alfredo Barbini circa 1950's."

I don't know if Barbini was the only one doing amber rims, but it's interesting.

sf6-Vv6fIYnHjRQZnfcX9w.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  11. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

This astray shape was imported but the boat load from Italy in the 1590s. If yopu have access to some of Heacoc'ks magazine attempts one has a lot of catalog pages

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

With that amber lip it is an especially nice looking piece. Guessing that the label says: "Genuine Venetian glass made in Italy". Maybe hunting down that foil label for similar examples might find matches.

PeteToday likes this.
  13. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Thank you Lucille. I like the amber lip too, as a contrast to the red. And that is a good hint to look for similar labels. (I was originally thinking of listing the bowl for sale but each time I photograph it for posting here, I think "Maybe I should keep this one...")

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I used to have a bookmark for Murano labels...can't find it !:banghead:

PeteToday likes this.
  15. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

That got me Googling "Murano label"... I found some that were similar but no exact matches. I even expanded to "Italian glass label"... no luck.

16. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

PeteToday likes this.
  17. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Thank you for this. They have a message at the top of the site saying that people seeking IDs should try:

https://www.glassmessages.com/

I will see what they have to say.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    anundverkaufen likes this.
  18. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

They have a *lot* of rules... Maybe another day.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.47.01 PM.png

19. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It's not so bad - but that site is hard to use. If you're on Facebook there's a very helpful group called "Art Glass Collectors Group" and another specifically for Italian glass called "Murano Glass/Italian Art Glass, Empoli". You have to join them in order to see the posts or make posts/requests.

anundverkaufen and PeteToday like this.
  20. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Yes--but that is where I think is the section with Murano labels I was thinking of !

PeteToday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted