Murano Glass vase, possibly Fratelli Toso??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lillian Sowa, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

I am 90% sure this is an authentic Murano millefiore glass vase, and possibly by Fratelli Toso. I bid for and won it from my thrift store, and based on some Google image searches, it SEEMS legitimately what they were claiming it was.

But how can I know for sure? And what is it worth? PXL_20240225_224628948~5.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Two things bother me: at the very bottom, I'm seeing clear glass, and that long cane (and the others) appears to be casting a shadow. Those things suggest that the color is thinly applied on the inside of an otherwise clear glass vase. Those things, and the limited and erratic application of the canes, suggests to me that this is not true Murano. Others may disagree.
    00000a.JPG

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's not a cucumber & flowers??.....:playful::playful::playful::confused:

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I need to see the base, but I’m fairly sure it’s modern Asian. The murrines are very thick and too clunky, the top is lop sided and also thick. Can you get a top down and base photo please?

5. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

Thank you!!
    I took a bunch more photos. And there are a few identical ones out there for sale online. (The millefiore are slightly different shapes, so it's not EXACTLY identical.) So I took a screenshot.

Could you please give me a pricing recommendation?
    PXL_20240311_155645066.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20240311_160257998.jpg PXL_20240311_155734594.NIGHT.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Ownedbybear

The base is decent enough, I still think modern Asian. Decorative value. And it depends where you are.

aaroncab, Lillian Sowa and Marie W like this.
  7. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

When you say Modern Asian, do you mean it is a Chinese knock-off, intending to look like Murano? Sorry, I'm still really new to this!

aaroncab likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Not a knock off as such, it’s just not made on Murano, and is probably Chinese. Good glass was made in China long before the west cottoned on! ;)

Lillian Sowa likes this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Agreed on this one being made in China. Also - incorrect glass maker attributions (especially on pieces for sale on sites like Ebay/Etsy/FB marketplace) - are rampant.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    komokwa and Lillian Sowa like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Don’t get me started on attributions.

aaroncab and Lillian Sowa like this.
  11. Lillian Sowa

Lillian Sowa New Member

I figure as much with the online marketplaces, that's why I'm on here asking instead of just posting it based on other sellers!

And thank you, that's why I wanted to clarify about the nature of what you said. Thank you everyone!!

Draft saved Draft deleted