Featured Music Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by newguy, May 8, 2022.

1. newguy

newguy New Member

musicbox1.jpg musicbox1.jpg This music box has been in the family for over a hundred years. I was hoping someone could tell us where and when it was made and any other history about the maker and the model. Much thanks.

Lucille.b, Boland and judy like this.
  2. newguy

newguy New Member

musicbox2.jpg musicbox3.jpg more photos

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2022
    Figtree3, Born2it, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

any marks on the cylinder .......

Lucille.b, Boland and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the broken tooth can be repaired, but I don't know who would do it.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

From the inlay and a random sampling of the song dates, I'd say this was made ca. 1870. The newest song that I sampled was "La Grande Duchesse," from 1867. I would guess that this was made in Switzerland. It will be difficult to say who made it without a name or trademark of some kind. Such beautiful penmanship!

Figtree3, Born2it, judy and 5 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So interesting to see what type of music a well-heeled mid-Victorian home would listen to.

Debora

Born2it, bercrystal and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

8. newguy

newguy New Member

That's so much for the feedback. Those dates and Switzerland jibe well with the few remembered bits of family lore we have. Any more details, like a manufacturer are appreciated. There is nothing on the cylinder, but there is on the handle to tension the spring mechanism. I will try to attach a photo.

Attached Files:

Figtree3, bercrystal and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Owliza

Owliza I really DO keep my tree up a bit too long...

I’ve been working on repairing an old unknown manufacturer box and came across this page in my sleuthing. Useless to me, but maybe gold for you. According to what I have read, you can get lucky sometimes and identify a manufacturer by the design of the tune sheet, which you have (so lucky!). This page has a link to a copy of a huge book of those tune sheets. If you have time, you may find yours. The website as a whole is pretty interesting too! https://www.mbsgb.org.uk/tune-sheets/?doing_wp_cron=1652169768.3872270584106445312500

Figtree3, komokwa, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  10. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Welcome, Newguy! Beautiful piece, I can see why it stayed in the family. What does the bottom look like? There might be some clue there.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted