Featured Music posters--some signed and all first printings

Discussion in 'Art' started by f. skitty, Apr 13, 2019.

1. f. skitty

f. skitty Member

I am interested in liquidating a number of posters and original art some of which was for music venues and the rest for other businesses. the majority of these date from 1970-1980; all are by known local artists and some of the artists are known nationwide. i am looking to find out how collectible these may be as well as best sites for selling. some are signed and some are not. the following are representative and i have many more. I will create another thread for original art which i posted earlier today as an attachment to another thread but appears to be buried. any and all info appreciated _DSC0772 (2).JPG _DSC0767 (2).JPG _DSC0764 (2).JPG _DSC0762 (2).JPG _DSC0761 (2).JPG _DSC0760 (2).JPG _DSC0759 (2).JPG

Born2it, Figtree3, Bakersgma and 7 others like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what a wonderful collection.

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you might be best off with a specialized sale at an auction house.

Debora

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Agreed!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

double agreed..

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

So freakin' cool.

Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like ya got Bruce and Clarance to sign your poster?!! :cat:

8. f. skitty

f. skitty Member

There’s
    not signed for me but yes both of them signed and it has a message on bk

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some of those might do best in Texas, but some could go national or even international. Make sure your auction house is on line.

10. komokwa

11. f. skitty

f. skitty Member

I’ve checked with a couple auction houses but their percentage is like 30+. I imagine I will check on this site’s selling requirements tomorrow. Over the past few years I have sold a few posters so I know they have value, but it’s difficult to determine how much.

12. komokwa

that's why you need the right auction house in the proper venue.............
    A Texas house would be a good choice.
    70 % of something , is better than 100% of nothing !
    & to get juices ...& pocketbooks flowing....you need to sell the lot......not just a few.........;)

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

please keep us posted. I'd be interested in the whole collection if price is reasonable.

14. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

15. f. skitty

f. skitty Member

I’m talking about several hundred posters and probably 20-50 originals I am willing to part with. I know items like awhq grand opening is worth close to a couple thousand. Johnny winter is dead so he’s not signing anything else as is Clarence, but I have no idea how to price these things. I do have a couple of poster dealers interested but not sure I have a great deal of trust in them as they play “Let’s make a deal” but don’t want to tell me what I want to know. All of these come from3 different collection that were started back between 1970 & 72. I am interested in selling but 5 volumes of posters I have photographed are all in raw and fine jpg format and this site doesn’t support those. Not sure what rules are about email addresses on site but I could post a list of what I have catalogued so far if that’s allowed.

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  16. komokwa

in the SELL Forum.....& we have PM...private messaging.....for talk between members.

17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes I agree about getting a professional auction house that has an appropriate upcoming auction for rock and roll / artwork collectibles. It's not as important to get every last dime out of any one poster, as it is to get a lump sum for the lot that you will be happy with the final outcome.

My own personal concerns about my own collection - art is to easily damaged and spoiled. I no longer even want any of my own mockup artwork from my own past posters! But here it is, not enough to go to an auction house.

I also suggest you advertise them in the SELL forum here and with your desired prices. I think these are beautiful.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful collection! I hope you do well with it.

19. MidwestMagpie

MidwestMagpie Owner/Proprietor, Trusted Hands Estate Sales

Right, and such a house would likely get better (higher) prices on a nationally advertised auction than you’d get locally or DIY on ebay (which also charges 15%+ too). So, the increase in sales would probably be worth it. Plus, they handle everything, verify authenticity, ship, handle taxes & transactions, etc. 30% isn’t a bad deal at all imo! Good luck! (drool!)

Draft saved Draft deleted