Featured Music practice timer - carriage style clock - need identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Biju, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Biju

Biju Well-Known Member

Hi,

I recently acquired this clock but am pretty clueless about its details. It's 8 inches tall in a design of a carriage clock. It has several subdials, which appear to be used for tracking musical instrument practice, but that is just my theory. It has no maker's name that I could find, but does seem American based on the writing on the dial.

Would love for someone to give me some details on it, most importantly the maker, approximate age and confirm if indeed it is to be used for timing musical practice.

TIA
    IMG_9864.jpg IMG_9865.jpg IMG_9866.jpg

Boland, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Not sure it would be for musical practice; perhaps for timing moves in a game such as chess?

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Scales and Pieces." "Exercises." Think language and lyre motif does tie it to music. But never seen such a thing.

Debora

moreotherstuff and Bronwen like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

You must be correct; I couldn't quite make out those words on my PC, but I see them now that you mention it. Top word is perhaps "Studies?"
    I'd guess it allows the student or teacher to set the amount of time to be devoted to each area, and monitor it.

Biju likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted