My best guess - CENSER? Maybe Moroccan?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by LoveTheHunt!, Oct 2, 2018.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Another mystery from an old estate a few weeks ago.
    Round, 7" diameter, 1-1/2" high, weighs 2-1/2 pounds.
    Made of non-ferrous metal, seems to be brass - but color seems light for either polished or tarnished brass, so I'm thinking silver plated. Indeed, when I rubbed the inner rim on bottom with a silver cream impregnated cloth, it got both shinier and lighter.
    Inner dish looks like tarnished copper, with black smudges like something burned there. No cigarette rests makes me think censer, rather than ashtray.
    I am guessing the two holes on opposing sides were for some sort of handle or hanger.
    Interesting construction - two matching halves attached together by some hidden fasteners. I am guessing they are hidden by the copper pan inserted in the center - but that is swedged(?) into the opening so that I couldn't pop it out.
    As for the decoration, I can only GUESS Moroccan - but have no knowledge to back that up...
    What do YOU think?
    Brass-Censer-C.jpg Brass-Censer-A.jpg Brass-Censer-oh.jpg Brass-Censer-B.jpg Brass-Censer-btm.jpg

Miscstuff likes this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Love it. Dunno what it is but want one. Looks more bronze than brass but
    I'll leave that up to the experts.
    Cheers
    Stephen

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    cxgirl, judy, LoveTheHunt! and 7 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

LoveTheHunt! and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm on board with that.......good call 2mb....:)

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with 2many, with just one note. Although these started as converted ankle bracelets in the 60s, many are not.
    There was such a demand for these as ashtrays during the Hippie period and after, that they started making them new, as a ready made anklet ashtray. They are still being made, not necessarily for use as ashtrays, but because they are so decorative.

I prefer the more intricate design on the bottom, btw. I would probably display it upside down.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    aaroncab, judy, i need help and 5 others like this.
  7. 2manybooks

Thanks for the nice compliments. :shame:

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have one with a Pier 1 label and tag explaining it is a bracelet bowl.

cxgirl, aaroncab, judy and 6 others like this.
  9. LoveTheHunt!

Oh, I'd hate for it to be as common as that! How much alike is yours to mine?

judy likes this.
  10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

11. LoveTheHunt!

12. verybrad

Different form but similar construction. Mine is currently for sale in my shop space. If still there when I go in Fri., I'll get a pic for you with label.

LoveTheHunt! and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Don't you love well-informed sellers? We all make mistakes, but this ......
    Just the logic of it, would slavers go to that much trouble to get their 'trade goods' (their view, not mine) such intricately decorated bracelets?
    And is it a selling point? Very few people want antique slavery related items in their home.
    Besides, these bracelets are clearly not antique, and African slave trade is still going on. Does anyone outside that specific criminal circuit want to be part of that?

14. verybrad

Here are pics of the one I have for sale. I was mistaken about it being Pier One. It was from World Market (Similar but different).

IMG_6398.JPG IMG_6399.JPG IMG_6400.JPG

15. 2manybooks

This looks like one of the newer ones that @Any Jewelry talked about - made as an ashtray but based on the old function. Not as nice work as @LoveTheHunt! 's.

cxgirl, Jivvy and LoveTheHunt! like this.