Featured My find Sat.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by filazel, May 26, 2014.

1. filazel

filazel New Member

002.JPG I found something I thought was pretty cool. Bought it on a hunch and because it was concerning the old local salt cod industry here. Capt. Thomas Mellen was a whaler from Edgartown that had some grand adventures . In his retirement he bought a grocery store and I believe this was packaged for his store. Paid way too much for it and it's probably not valuable but the history behind it made it worth it to me.

lloyd249, cxgirl, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  2. filazel

filazel New Member

KingofThings likes this.
  3. User 48

User 48 Guest

I like it a lot, and it's the sort of thing I always had trouble resisting, too. Always loved the local history angle. (And, yeah, my European friends laughed when I'd remark on some "historic" find of mine... that was maybe 85 years old.)

KingofThings and filazel like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Love it. My mother saved all her old salt cod boxes and when she passed away we found them all over the house - full of pennies, mostly wheats. Maybe if I'd kept them long enough they'd be worth something. I really like yours. We have some antique bottles from local firms that we found in the attic. Wellfleet Mineral Spring is my favorite.

KingofThings and filazel like this.
  5. filazel

filazel New Member

Seeing I'm not an expert in art or antiques it needs to be something I personally like and not worry too much about whether I can resell it later for profit. I won't bore you guys with the rest of the links I found on this piece but if your interested the great oogley googley comes up with more on this simple cod box lid.

6. Cmsant

Cmsant New Member

Hi,
    Do you still have this?

Thx
    Christina

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Cmsant

Cmsant New Member

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice!

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The date of this post ( bottom left)...is MAY 26...2014..!

You're asking a question to someone who hasn't been seen here in over 2 YEARS !

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Really cool item! Congratulations!

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Komokwa, I didn't notice the date.
    Still a very nice box:)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted