Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Silver
>
My first silverware: Early Victorian salver
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="shamster, post: 11434695, member: 85821"]Hello everyone,</p><p><br /></p><p>this is my first post in the silverware forum and hope my question isn’t too stupid!</p><p><br /></p><p>I just bought this English sterling silver salver, hallmarked in 1846, London. The maker is identified as George Ivory, there is a thread on another silver collecting website which has interesting extra information related to his business:<a href="https://www.silver-collector.com/t/looted-silver-from-the-summer-palace/9788" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="https://www.silver-collector.com/t/looted-silver-from-the-summer-palace/9788" rel="nofollow">https://www.silver-collector.com/t/looted-silver-from-the-summer-palace/9788</a></p><p>[ATTACH=full]543535[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]543536[/ATTACH]</p><p><br /></p><p>it’s 20cm in diameter, 370 grams in weight. Theirs a badge in the center- head of an antelope, with thistle in its mouth and three stars on its collar. Also the chased pattern includes female faces, various birds, and something looks like torches? Is there anything I should know about my salver?</p><p>[ATTACH=full]543538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]543537[/ATTACH]</p><p>Also, do you think there’s any need to XRF test it when I received it? Does the hallmark guarantee it’s 100% sterling silver with absolutely no exceptions? Again, I hope this doubt doesn’t sound too silly, but I always have paranoid when comes to $$$ piece like this one.</p><p><br /></p><p>Thanks for any comment![/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="shamster, post: 11434695, member: 85821"]Hello everyone, this is my first post in the silverware forum and hope my question isn’t too stupid! I just bought this English sterling silver salver, hallmarked in 1846, London. The maker is identified as George Ivory, there is a thread on another silver collecting website which has interesting extra information related to his business:[URL]https://www.silver-collector.com/t/looted-silver-from-the-summer-palace/9788[/URL] [ATTACH=full]543535[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]543536[/ATTACH] it’s 20cm in diameter, 370 grams in weight. Theirs a badge in the center- head of an antelope, with thistle in its mouth and three stars on its collar. Also the chased pattern includes female faces, various birds, and something looks like torches? Is there anything I should know about my salver? [ATTACH=full]543538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]543537[/ATTACH] Also, do you think there’s any need to XRF test it when I received it? Does the hallmark guarantee it’s 100% sterling silver with absolutely no exceptions? Again, I hope this doubt doesn’t sound too silly, but I always have paranoid when comes to $$$ piece like this one. Thanks for any comment![/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Silver
>
My first silverware: Early Victorian salver
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...