My new old Weiman

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by theonlychris, Apr 4, 2019.

1. theonlychris

theonlychris New Member

What say the experts?
    I picked up this table a few days ago. It's such a pretty thing, I couldn't pass it up for $25. I hesitate to restore it, but I really want to see that beautiful wood shine through again. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can save the leather for lack of experience. And I'm not sure if replacing it with something I could inlay would reduce the value. It could easily be worth hundreds if done right. But more importantly, it could be beautiful again and I really want to keep its original integrity as much as possible.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      594.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      650.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      754.3 KB
      Views:
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A180435C-1103-4BAC-BF89-C6EC6C0AAA58.jpeg 5CFC5346-84BA-4431-9233-EA607FF87EB5.jpeg 8964FA02-D8D4-493E-8B95-92EB8F395D61.jpeg Please click Full Image when you post photos, Thanks. :)

Figtree3, antidiem and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would try Old English Scratch Cover. Shake a lot on it, wipe it gently, let it sit on it for 15 mins and wipe and polish it off. It should help a great deal. Let it dry for a few days and then rub it with a GOOD shoe polish burgundy or dark brown.
    greg

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I admire your intention to make the piece glow again. However, don't expect to retire on the results; these days it just isn't happening for brown furniture. Other than that, listen to Gregsglass.......that's good advice.

antidiem and i need help like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Doubtful in most markets. Here in the Midwest, we sell similar at retail in good condition at around $50.00, give or take. You may do better (or worse) in your market. This is 1940s mahogany traditional furniture and just not in demand. If fixing for yourself, have at it. Gregsglass gave good advice for a quick sprucing that will improve appearance quite a bit.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  6. theonlychris

theonlychris New Member

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  7. theonlychris

theonlychris New Member

Thanks Greg! I certainly will try that. :)

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  8. theonlychris

theonlychris New Member

Thanks Ghopper :)

Ghopper1924, antidiem and i need help like this.
  9. theonlychris

theonlychris New Member

Indeed Brad. Thank you very much. Never thought I would see the day that people weren’t excited about Mahogany. Lol. I intended to keep it either way. Thanks for the knowledge!

Ghopper1924, antidiem and i need help like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Make sure to post a photo once you have spruced it up, we’d love to see it :)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @theonlychris -- Yes, please do update this if you do some work on it. We like to see the results!

12. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if you got a new leather inlay for it it would cost way more than you could ever hope to get for it. Agree with Brad on the value. We just sold the same Weiman in very good condition and were happy to get $60.00 for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted