Featured My Very Last Tool: Metal Muncher!

Discussion in 'Tools' started by springfld.arsenal, Jun 15, 2017.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Today I found The Ultimate Tool: The Metal Muncher!!!! No didn't buy it, a few little details like it is over 4 tons and our forklift will only handle 3 tons, stuff like that. But maybe when I grow up I can get one! Yeah I don't even have enuf thick steel plate to give it a good test, but dangit, someday down the long windin' road I'll git me a METAL MUNCHER!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Joshua Brown, judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Buy it, munch unconventional things and post videos on youtube, become insanely popular like the hydraulic press guy.

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Dude, you don't have to lift the whole thing with the forks. Just one end at a time to get the dolly wheels under.

I can't believe you haven't found an Army surplus 20T forklift yet.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It's only worth about $27,500. Get two! :)
    I love these and other 'ironworkers'.
    I have used quite a few though usually for mundane things such as cutting angle iron but never one of this capacity.
    I used them often to punch holes.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

Thx, interesting! Yes this one looking to be in good condition is only a piddly $10k. But I don't have that spare change jingling in my pocket right now.

Oooooohh, I know, wonder if the general population would toss money into a Spring's Metal Muncher Gofundme page? I'd have to put some thought into the "sympathy" part though. Maybe "Spring is a poor longtime hoarder who only wants to hoard ONLY one more thing, then he'll stop, he swears! Be a part of his hoarding cure and buy him a Metal Muncher!"

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

OK, I give. What exactly would this be used for? It looks like a giant punch to me and I wouldn't want a nice smooth punched hole munched, but maybe that's just me.:D

7. KingofThings

This one is hydraulic but the ones I used had a very heavy flywheel that little could stop its rotation. When you stepped on a pedal it would engage and run until you lifted your foot.
    The end with the yellow and black warning mark cuts steel such as: angle iron, flat and square bar and probably round rod and re-bar.
    The other will hold punches of various sizes to punch holes in metal, usually steel, as aluminum and such soft metals, will foul the punch. Same for the other end. I suppose it could possibly press shapes with that much pressure at hand.
    It may also cut square or round holes into sheet metal with the proper accessories.
    It is a very dangerous machine and must take full attention and eye protection when operating.
    Never speak to anyone, or make loud noises, around anyone operating such a thing.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

very last tool... until the next one ;)

9. springfld.arsenal

The MM I found got me spun up and I started looking online for machinery upgrades I'd been contemplating. I found an underpriced, newish-looking hydraulic press that was 1/10 the price and 1/20th the weight of MM. So I bought it. Won't have good pix till next week. We've been using a cheap, 20-ton press that's "loose" enough that it is dangerous, but the new one looks like it should be much tighter, plus should be higher capacity.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You are a very very fascinating collector!!:cat:

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He's the proud owner of a warehouse, the better to store large toys. I buy jewelry, on the exact opposite end of the spectrum.

12. Dawn mohrbavher

Dawn mohrbavher Active Member

Best Go fund me EVER!

13. springfld.arsenal

Well here's our substitute for the too-big Muncher, a nice electrohydraulic press, 25-ton capacity, to replace a cheap somewhat dangerous 20-ton one we've been using for many years.

[​IMG]

It is about same physical size as the old one, about 5' tall x 3' wide. It weighs about 500 lbs, about 200 lbs. more than old one. This type of press is called an "H-frame press" regardless of how it is powered.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

Here's the top of our old one that we bought as a manually-pumped 20-ton press. I converted it to an "air-over-hydraulic" press by substituting an air-powered hydraulic jack for the manual one, and found that the simple conversion made the press much more useful. It was also safer because you can control it with the valve that's on a 3-foot-long hose rather than having your body against the press to be able to work the hand pump.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I look at these machines in wonder and awe.............................and wonder what awful things I could create with them.............or "un-create" with them................

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hope it munches well for you !

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THIS one looks like something to put the rods in Frankenstein's neck with!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

Oh, and when I wrote that it would be the last tool, well, I was "forgetting" about the 53-foot semi-trailer headed this way with a bit over 13 tons of machine tools and related stuff, 20 pallets' worth. Not my personal horde exactly, it belongs to the business and will be used to process stuff for sale and sometimes for ordinary machine-shop jobs from outside customers. The truck will bring many capabilities we've needed for years, we just made-do with poor substitutes, didn't do certain things, or paid other shops to do it for us. We'll continue sending quantity-production jobs out to CNC machine shops, though, since that's the only type of shop that can do a few hundred of something in a few days and at an affordable price.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    judy and KingofThings like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Boys and their toys.(sigh)

judy and KingofThings like this.
  20. KingofThings

Girls have toys too...
    :)

Joshua Brown, judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted