Featured Mysterious Kutani Teaset?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rae Rae, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Rae Rae

Rae Rae New Member

Hi all,
    I've been wondering around the house and I noticed a tea set my mother has. Her grandma gave it to her. Apparently her grandma got it really 1900's (1900-1930) from a merchant she was dating at the time. I've managed to narrow the search down after hours of research to a Eggshell Kutani Teaset however I have been unsuccessful in finding what the red initials at the bottom means. From my best translation it mean Momota but nothing comes up when I search that. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Media pics:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with your conclusions of Kutani early 1900s between the wars.

It's a pretty set. Different design than most. No stork or birds.

I'm assuming you found the Gotheborg site for marks. But just in case you didn't, I'll post the link.
    http://gotheborg.com/

Any Jewelry, i need help and Houseful like this.
  3. Rae Rae

Rae Rae New Member

Thank you for replying, I've checked out that site but sadly I've had no luck. I'll keep looking though.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

all right let me help with the mark,from the style the kutani would be a right ideas.and about the mark i have 2 conclusion about it,百田 Hyaku-Ta or 日田 Hi-Ta with strange big T letter above it,i don't know japanese,i'm using google translate from chinese word so that's what i got,my suggestion is probably the second with strange big T letter,imho,good luck!

5. Rae Rae

Rae Rae New Member

Thank you so much. I've really been struggling with the mark. I'll make sure do some research on the name. I'll get back to you if I find anything. Thank you once again

Draft saved Draft deleted