Mysterious Medal! Please help ID! Really Cool

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Mr.Picklefoot, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Mr.Picklefoot

Mr.Picklefoot New Member

I got this medal at an estate sale in the Pittsburgh area. The man who owned it was a Mason however I have no idea if there is a connection. It does not seem Masonic to my very untrained eye. Everyone who has seen the medal agree that it definitely seems to be old. Can anyone please help me identify or get some additional info on this medal? I will be happy to answer any questions! Appx. 2" x 2.5"

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      696.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      746.9 KB
      Views:
    Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    ~

This is my standard help document>

(And you can go back to EDIT to implement it if you wish)

~

I’ve found that this works best for me by computer though by phone is, or may be, a bit different.

Photos always load quickly and so I wrote this up to help all and all of you are welcome to copy and share when necessary. :) >>>

~~~

After your comments are complete drop down a line.

~

Put a squiggle > ~ or a dash - or something as a spacer from the words to the photos. I think this makes it easier to read your comments and questions.

~

Drop down a line.

~

Make your photos 480x640 or smaller.

~

Load all your photos, 10 max.

~

At the top of your photo pile there's an option to enlarge them all. (Full Image)

~

Enlarge them always please.

~

Thank you!

Note> If you go back and edit you must always click your cursor under the last squiggle or your comments will be split up by the photos.

Also, many of us will not open links so it's best to put photos directly in your post.

~

VIDEO TUTOR BY JOSHUA BROWN >>>>

~

https://vid.me/hjCL

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

This is a hard call but I'm going to have to say this is a fake, made to look like an old Masonic medal.The compass and square (one of the main Masonic symbols) is done very poorly and the overall quality of the piece is very low for any official Masonic piece. I could be wrong about all of these things; hopefully someone with more knowledge of this subject can answer your questions. :)

KingofThings and afantiques like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a fake, per se. I don't think it was meant to look like a real one; it looks like the sort of thing I've seen costume jewelry makers do with "antique" coins that never existed. It's a fantasy piece, meant as costume jewelry rather than as a fake antique.

KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Mr.Picklefoot

Mr.Picklefoot New Member

6. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Yep that's what it appears to be, does seem to have many similarities to Freemasonry. Anting-Anting seems to be a very "primitive cult" to put it clearly. I read the Wiki page about it where it says:

"Other methods of obtaining an agimat is by getting the liquid that is drained from an exhumed body of an unbaptized child or aborted fetus or offering food and drinks to the spirits in a cemetery during midnight of Holy Wednesday or Holy Thursday."

Had to look up what exhumed meant... doesn't sound pleasant! :bag:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)