Featured Mystery box made of wood, cannot be opened without destruction

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueAnimals, Nov 28, 2020.

1. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It's OK Branka..............we all make mistakes.:cat:

komokwa and Branka like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

AA writes.....
    "
    and besides the peephole which is a
    apparently mirrored,"

and I wrote...
    "looks like a cell phone camera in the peep hole !!!!"

So you should have read those before your guess...

And besides...your guess was a question...with a ?
    So I explained why it was in error........that's all.

I'm sorry if you were so offended by my reply .....

3. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Or, here's something you could try: it is possible to make a puzzle-box, with all sides apparently closed; but having internal passageways for a small object like a ball-bearing, or a sliding wood or metal block. Tilting the box in various ways will make that object slide around, and in one position, the slider will be in a position that allows one side to slide open.
    They can be quite complex, and could be multi-stage: for example, hold the box with the hole facing you, tilt 90 degrees left; allowing the right panel to open 1/4/" and then tilt 180 degrees right, allowing the back panel to come off. As an example.
    To diagnose this kind of secret lock: when tilting the box, you would hear a rolling or sliding noise as the internal object slides or rolls around. An x-ray would show the internal channels, and give some idea how to tilt it to open; but of course, it is unlikely you have an x-ray machine handy. Maybe borrow one from a local dentist.....
    If you get such a box to open, be sure to replace the internal slider as you found it, since they may be either contained, or loose and subject to falling out when the box is opened.
    And, similarly, there are puzzle boxes where one side can gently slide out a short distance, which allows another side to slide out a greater distance, which allows the first to slide out farther...and so on; without needing any internal slider. You could try sliding one side sideways; there are four possible directions; then try another side....until you've tried all four directions on all six sides.
    Might try googling puzzle boxes to learn about some of the myriad methods.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great.....now i'm dizzy !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  6. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

From personal experience, you might have better luck/results asking a veterinarian to shoot an x-ray of it. Usually their equipment can make larger films than dental equipment.

all_fakes and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted