Featured Mystery brass item Indian? SE Asian?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Mar 29, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

My first thought was buckle or buckle adjacent but not sure how that would really work. Came in a lot of silver/silver plated items. Possibly Indian? Anyone know?

One tiny hole on one of the ridges on underside. FF8E38CF-6C61-4B74-93AF-2BBF3D788BC6.jpeg 046B0B9F-736F-403D-993A-9A1C01B4EA21.jpeg E1BABE1F-FC0C-472D-96DB-E1F123642674.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks Kashmiri to me. Might be missing something?

3. J Dagger

I can’t imagine it’s not missing at least something, if not multiple something’s.

4. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Indian belt buckle, it's missing the other side that clips on the belt that has teeth, this is the old style. One end of the leather is attached to the loop you have and the other slides along the belt until it fits then you push a leaver and the teeth dig in, then all you have to do each time you use it is hook them together.

5. J Dagger

Thanks! Any keywords you can recommend to help me find comps? Indian is a tough keyword. I tried Kashmir, peacock, and more keywords and didn’t find a similar one.

808 raver likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@J Dagger, was there any legible writing along the edge where I've marked?? Especially look towards the ends of both curves...............

EDIT 046B0B9F-736F-403D-993A-9A1C01B4EA21.jpg

J Dagger likes this.
  7. J Dagger

I didn’t notice anything but I can always give another look! I think I buried it in one of the three bins the collection I purchased came in. Expecting company and my idea of tidying is to fill two rooms so full of stuff you can barely enter and then close the doors and tell folks not to go in. Then the rest of house will only look mildly cluttered then.

8. 808 raver

I suspect it might be for the Indian army, the army often have buckles like this. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1009957660/indian-wars-regulation-us-officers-eagle I know this is for the US army but it's the same thing just for a different army

J Dagger likes this.
  9. 808 raver

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, India or Pakistan.
    I don't see Kashmir. Kashmiri scroll decorations have more distinct leaves and the scrolls are 'structured' by vines. Also, a larger Kashmiri design element, in this case two peacocks, is more likely to be a 'chinar' leaf.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    808 raver and J Dagger like this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It seems odd that the peacocks would be sideways if used as a buckle in a horizontal orientation.

808 raver and J Dagger like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it was for a cross shoulder belt?

13. J Dagger

my photographs didn’t include an angle that would show you that there is no loop or bar with space under it for leather to wrap around. Both sides are the same, just solid cross sections with no space for anything to slide through, no teeth, no hinges. Just solid pieces of brass with the one tiny whole on one side towards the middle. It does resemble the buckles you’re referencing but I think it may lack the design that would work in this configuration possibly?

I’m also in agreement that the peacocks would be positioned oddly for it to lay the way a belt buckle would. Maybe a shoulder buckle though like aj mentioned.

808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. J Dagger

that’s what pushed me away from the belt buckle idea when I first gandered at it. Well that and the engineering wouldn’t seem to work in a way that I’m familiar with.

808 raver likes this.
  15. J Dagger

That did occur to me. If it is a buckle piece I’d be inclined to think it was a cross body piece. Maybe even similar to a breast plate like they used in the American civil war.

808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted