Featured Mystery brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_7958.jpeg IMG_7959.jpeg IMG_7961.jpeg IMG_7960.jpeg Ahhh, me and my addiction to weird/unusual things...
    This time I found a brooch online (came from France) I simply had to have because I didn't understand what exactly it is.
    It consists of low grade silver, paste stones and a sepia portrait that I believe is painted.
    I think it might be early 19th century, looking at its clasp and its construction.
    But then...what IS it? Looks like some weird combination of Saint Mary devotion (could be Spanish?) in combination with maybe some Halley s comet thing?
    Or is it just my imagination?
    (I really like Halley s Comet jewels).:)
    Could also just be two jewels that someone joined into this.
    But all this is just guessing.
    What do you make of this brooch?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    kyratango, ulilwitch, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Dessert58

Omg AJ, thaks for your comment. Thats amazing!
    I only thought about Halley s comet when I got the brooch home and held it in person.
    Now the search is on for a diamond Halley s comet...:hilarious:

4. Any Jewelry

:facepalm::joyful:

kyratango and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I showed just the cameo in this brooch in the cameo thread, but the complete brooch looks like this:

Bearded man 4B.jpg

The seller described it as mirror shaped, which it is. However, likely it dates to sometime around 1835 & is a nod to Halley's comet.

Very cool piece you have here. I think it predates the fashion for mourning jewellery initiated by Queen Victoria, but it strikes me as a primitive post-mortem portrait. Are the eyes open or closed? I seem to see one of each.

6. Any Jewelry

I see both eyes open, although looking down, the way Madonnas often do. She is also wearing a Madonna-like veil.

7. Dessert58

Bronwen, thank you very much for showing your cameo brooch. It indeed looks like it has something to do with Halley s comet/a mirror
    i think both of them are Halley's, to be frank. Halley s comet was a big event in these days. These commemorative brooches were sold everywhere znd in every form I would imagine.

The portrait on my brooch has open eyes, two of them, :hilarious:,but she looks downwards and indeed has a St Mary- like veil as AJ mentioned

Draft saved Draft deleted