Featured Mystery chair, need help dating it.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sydnie Roberts, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Sydnie Roberts

Sydnie Roberts New Member

IMG_20230905_193217_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_20230905_193317_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg I recently found a chair at a flea market. The seller claimed it was French 18th century. I didn't believe the date at all but loved the look. It has been reupholstered many times from what I can tell and is in desperate need of it again. I can see it's stuffed with hair and also plant matter. I can feel springs but I'm hesitant to open it up to see if they're hand tied or part of one of the many reupholsteries. Based on the legs and Roman motif I'm guessing it was maybe mid 1800's, courtesy of what I could find on Google. Can some with more experience share some insights?

Attached Files:

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

An impressive chair, quite a character.;) It looks Continental European to me, second half of the 19th century.
    A little too 'heavy' for France, but I can see this being German Historic Revival.
    German Historic Revival borrowed mostly from the Renaissance period, hence the Roman motif.

If you google "Historismus Stuhl" (German for Historic Revival chair), you'll come across similar ones.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I’d say 1870s. If it weren’t for the color (colour ?) treatment, I would have thought John Jelliff as well, or another high-end U.S. maker. Assuming that the stenciling and color are original, then Central European makes sense.

5. Sydnie Roberts

Thank you for the insight. Do you know if John Jelliff recreated existing designs or was it all original? The color has me baffled too since I can't find any pieces of his with the black and painted designs. But it would appear to be nearly identical to the chairs shared by @Roaring20s in the link above, just larger carvings in some areas and a bit more embellishment in others.

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Jelliff used Renaissance Revival motifs like scrolls, pediments and acanthus leaves much like any other furniture maker in the mid to late 19th Century. They were also used by midwestern factories like Berkeley & Gay of Grand Rapids, Michigan (Jelliff was in Newark, New Jersey).
    The difference is that Jelliff’s furniture was more sumptuous, often using masks on the arms of his sofas and chairs. His shop also made mid-level chairs without the masks on the arms.
    However, I have never seen Jelliff’s shop use this kind of decoration, which looks original. It does look like it’s from Central Europe. The point is, many furniture makers used these motifs. There was lots of mutual awareness in the industry; the main thing was to combine these elements in a distinctive way, which the best manufacturers were able to do.

komokwa, Roaring20s and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Sydnie Roberts

Really appreciate your information, thank you!

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted