Featured Mystery figurine - coalport?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JanieB, Apr 30, 2021.

1. JanieB

JanieB Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm really hoping someone here can help with this mysterious figurine! It has a feel about it that it's special - I can't explain it! An antique dealer has seen it today and is also interested by it. I'm told its parian ware and when you google parian ware cat and monkey you get a white version of this piece which says its rare coalport 1840. But I can't find a painted one anywhere and I can't find any more information ... although I'm still searching.
    I love the piece and won't be selling it, but it's frustrating that there are no makers marks anywhere and I really want to know what it is, age etc.
    Thanks in advance for any information you can share with me.
    Best wishes,
    Jane
    figure1.jpg
    figure2.jpg
    figure3.jpg

2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

The more I look at it the more I like it.

pearlsnblume, Tanya and JanieB like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That is interesting. I see W&W has one listed as Coalport c1840, they are pretty good on early 19th ceramics so I would suspect that's right. Hansons says their one was boxed (which seems odd and suggests a later date).

The decoration and base does have a Regency aesthetic to my eye. I wouldn't be troubled by it being glazed if is was factory done, all kinds of variations and short run experiments were done in the 19thc so it's very common to find variants in ceramics. The decoration is well done, looks of period and suits it, so I would hazard it has enhanced it's appeal and value.

I would send some pics to W&W and note you saw they had sold a parian one, ask for their opinion and they should also be able to advise you what the parian on sold for.

JanieB and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Said to be in Goddens, plate 176.
    I believe some members have that book.

pearlsnblume and JanieB like this.
  5. JanieB

JanieB Member

I'm so glad you agree that it's interesting. I also saw the one at Hansons and noticed that if you look carefully the cat's hand is at a slightly different angle so I think you're right about it being later.

The decoration is really good - even down to the inside of the monkey's mouth. And I love the back view which is as perfect as the front! The cat has minor damage to her ear but it's hardly noticeable. But it actually isn't glazed - it must be the photo making it look that way.

So, I will do exactly as you suggest and email W&W for information and an opinion.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me - I really appreciate it. I'll post back what W&W say.

pearlsnblume and Ce BCA like this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I worry about the base. It looks as if the mark has been removed, possibly to give the impression that it is older than it is. A new one sold for only £5 at Hansons. If you look at both, the older one sold by Warren & Wignall is more detailed.

Yours has more detail than the boxed one so is possibly an old one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  7. JanieB

JanieB Member

John Brassey - thank you for your reply. I inherited the figurine from my grandmother, so I know its at least as old as me (and that's quite old!). She used to have it on her fireplace in pride of place. It fascinated me then too. But I do agree there's a dirty patch on the base which I hope isn't suspicious.

I also noticed the cat's face in the Hansons sale was a bit different to mine - in fact the whole thing doesn't have the same feel. It looks more like something you'd win at a fair! Certainly the antique dealer I saw this morning was quite eager to hand over £100 without checking it out and with no makers mark, despite the damage. So I'm hopeful!

John Brassey likes this.
  8. JanieB

JanieB Member

So I have news .... I emailed W&W as suggested by Ce BCA and they replied. They said it highly likely that mine is Coalport as they are not aware of this figure being produced at any other factories. She also said they are usually unmarked so that's OK. In the current market she thinks the value would only be around £100-150 - which is fine by me as I can now keep it and enjoy it.

So now I know! And its because of the replies I got here pointing me in the right direction. Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted