Featured Mystery in Black...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ken K, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Ken K

Ken K Member

Does anyone have any advice on researching glass items that are not marked in any way? Are there resources a newbie like me should know about? In trying to find out about these goblets, I found similarly shaped items offered online and those referred to these as "Gorham Reizart Europa Black Crystal Wine Goblets" and another referred to them as "Black Amethyst Glass". Any thoughts on these sleek black beauties?

They stand 6.5" tall, mouth and base diameter is 2-3/4", about 3" at the widest part of the barrel.

Attached Files:

judy, pearlsnblume, Rclinftl and 2 others like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BINGO!!! And there you have one good resource to check for something like that, @Ken K !!! Hang around, keep watching and reading and you'll pick up a LOT!!!:):)

judy, pearlsnblume and Ken K like this.
  4. Ken K

Ken K Member

judy and bercrystal like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Your glasses are beautiful! And so on trend right now. I found a set these a few years back in green and I was really attracted to the shape. Very nice in black.

Ken K, judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. Ken K

Ken K Member

Thank you, I really like the unique shape of them also.

7. Might not be old. I bought these from Crate and Barrel. IMG_1551.jpeg IMG_1552.jpeg

Jeff Drum and Ken K like this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Heather, your goblets are beautiful. I've seen several old patterns copied by presnt day companies. For awhile, Pottery Barn was copying several old patterns in stemware. I guess the only way to know the difference is to compare the colors or sizes, or as in your case, look at the handy sticker. It's also possible that the original glasses made for Gorham, were made by Krosno. For instance, Waterford offered the Lismore pattern in cut to clear colors that were made in eastern Europe. That company (which I forget the name of) also offers the same goblets under their own name and the only difference is a 1" difference in height. Waterford's are 7" and theirs are 8". Or maybe it was vice versa (I have a serious case of CRS sometimes).

How tall are your goblets?

bercrystal and Ken K like this.
  9. Ken K

Ken K Member

Thanks Heather... those are gorgeous! So many ways to turn learning about glass... makes me head spin! lol ... all the best-K

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted