Mystery Inlaid Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by millenial_scum1991, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Hasn't even been twelve hours since my original post, my wife is happy, the previous owner will be happy, @clutteredcloset49 you guys are AWESOME!

Thanks @KikoBlueEyes , I figured we landed a fair price, I just noticed that the flame birch @James Conrad posted sold for roughly $800, which made me think that maybe this was worth a little more than what we paid. Not that we will sell, she loves it.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice dream catcher....but it should be in the bedroom....LOL !!!!!!

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Thing is, IF it is Biedermeier which it probably is, is it period? (1815-1840s) or is it a revival piece? (1880s- 1920s).
    I am guessing the latter but i really don't know. You can buy Biedermeier furniture that was built yesterday in western europe.
    Also, i think you have a night stand, not a dresser. In first pic that started thread, it looked very wide, rectangular like a dresser but, in later pics it looks much smaller and square. Add in there are only 2 drawers, i am guessing a night stand.

Here is one built in 2010, with that very square top like yours
    https://www.chairish.com/product/15...XVnMEf7woLPZYIfyv3y2VhvxSai_rSl8aAhwxEALw_wcB
    biedermeier-theta-wood-chest-3112.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The trompe l'oeil effect of the veneer work has me stumped. It's very unusual. I searched for other examples of similar marquetry that would simulate recessed panels and couldn't find anything, especially on Biedermeier pieces. The closest I could find were these two, but not really right either. Now I'm bothered.

biedermeier 2.jpg biedermeier.jpg

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

French origin is less likely in Texas.
    German...more likely if around the Edward's Plateau and it's history of German immigration.

Anyway, Biedermeier inspired at best. Go back to the first page, to Cluttered's comments and the O.P's first post. Finishing nails? I'll stick with my opinion that this is 20th century.

6. James Conrad

Well, don't look at me, i am just guessing over here!:eek:
    There is really no one in here that specializes in european furniture, don't know why, you'd figure with all the members there would be at least one.

7. James Conrad

It could very well be, only thing i am pretty sure is, not american

8. unnamed (4).jpg

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't really know where this is from but do think it relatively new. As noted, there is fresh wood showing in places and look at that key. Would like to see the back and drawer bottom. The pine secondary wood and rather crude lock gets me thinking that this could be Mexican in origin.

10. Being half-latino from California currently living in the heart of Tex-Mex, a Mexi-made German-style revival wouldn't surprise me in the least. Antiqueros you say @verybrad?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@verybrad ,@millenial_scum1991 ....I love it when you say what I am thinking! I seriously looked at that pine and said to myself " Looks like the Mexican pine bunk bed wood I re-purposed from my neighbor " ! The fact there was a lot of Germans in Mexico , seems like it could definitely be from there . I know there are people of German origin because my dad went down there to help with a tannery during his 27 year career and the family was German that owned it or worked there . He still talks about it .

12. James Conrad

True, germans have been in mexico a long time, i think they make a lot of the beer down there, much as they do here.

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @millenial_scum1991 -- What an interesting discussion you started!

I know almost nothing about furniture, so am just here to say "hi." For those who discussed ways to shorten your user name, how about ms1?

14. James Conrad

Yeah, is interesting, kind of like that old TV program "What's My Line" where once a week they had a celebrity mystery guest and the panel was blindfolded.
    I'd say the Antiquers "panel" is pretty much blindfolded when it comes to foreign furniture, i know i am.

15. Well, I'm by no means an Antiquer, the extent of my antique knowledge is about as much as being thankful for the wise and tasteful folks here on the forum.

My wife collects though, and I must say I've certainly developed a new appreciation for the field after seeing some of the gorgeous pieces provided by people like @James Conrad and @Darkwing Manor.

I'm considering this mystery solved and case closed unless @verybrad really needs me to drag this heavy thing out to take a picture of the back.

Definitely looking forward to anymore items they feel worth sharing however unrelated, as for my name, Scum works just fine for me. ;)

16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted