Featured Mystery mark on pottery vase. Help!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ownedbybear, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've looked and looked....! Nice glaze, but who?

16a. sma;;.JPG P1190720 small.JPG

KSW, pearlsnblume, johnnycb09 and 7 others like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

That's super dupa !

KSW, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found a piece with similar glaze and fish. They say theirs is marked W.L.L. and they are attributing it to William Lowe, Longton. Sadly they don't show the mark for comparison.

I don't see much William Lowe pottery that is similar in a quick search and have no personal knowledge of what was made there. Interestingly the vase in the link is number 43 and since yours appears to be 44 I'd think likely come from the same place (wherever that is). Thought an additional piece might help the search.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-art-deco-l-william-lowe-vase-787389251

upload_2022-10-23_8-20-16.png

KSW, bercrystal, pearlsnblume and 7 others like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Classic eBay seller fail. Tell you about a mark, guess who it is, but don't take a pic of the mark. smh

KSW, bercrystal, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I actually wonder if it's Worthpoint dropping the mark photo. I think they might have a paid mark service.

I know I've seen quite a few description on auctions saved there that will say something like "mark in pictures #6" only there isn't a pic 6 on worthpoint.

Just me guessing ;) could be wrong on all counts.

KSW, pearlsnblume, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I see they have a very robust tool called M.A.P.S. that, from what I can tell, is free (sans an image search feature that appears to require a valid login). Here's a generic search in the ceramic marks database for the letter "j":

TheSearch-->

The MAPS search page-->

They block out some of the details, though.

kentworld, KSW, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Boy that's a nice link and find. Thank you.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Is that a "TT" next to the stamp?

9. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

charlie cheswick and KSW like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The colour is stunning!

charlie cheswick likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yipes, sorry folks. I entirely missed the notifications on this. Lowe does look like a pretty definite possibility. That mark isn't in Godden, I'd looked. Fishy one is absolutely the same glaze, and a 20s or 30s date would fit. It's 44 next to the stamp, not TT.

You'd think Norvac or whatever would show up, hm?

MAny thanks for all the help!

Draft saved Draft deleted