Featured Mystery Mark on Silver Spoon

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lizjewel, Jan 10, 2022.

1. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Found this spoon at a local flea over the weekend. All by its lonesome I took pity on it. Nothing special, typical Kings pattern, large size, 13.5" long, heavy. Silverplated but on top of what I haven't been able to tell yet. Marks on back not recognized, help please, anyone?
    2022-01-10-Mystery-Mark-KingsPatternSpoon1.jpg

Figtree3, dude and judy like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe the fleur-de-lis indicates France? Otherwise, I have no idea.

judy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nope that's not likely. French marks don't look like this at all. Silverplated flatware often has this kind of mix of pseudo marks with no official meaning. I've looked on several online and printed resources - not a clue anywhere.

Can we see a picture of the other side please?

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. lizjewel

Thanks, dear contributors! Will take pics tomorrow!

judy likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When you get a photo of the whole thing, tag DragonflyWink.

judy likes this.
  6. lizjewel

Born2it, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Raimond Silver, 1960s+. At that size, typically called a stuffing spoon in the U.S.

raimond-silver-mark (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Figtree3, Bakersgma, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yer just too good !!
    are u part detective??
    ;);)..:kiss::kiss:..:happy::happy:

Figtree3, Bronwen and judy like this.
  9. lizjewel

Thanks, Cheryl/Dragonwink, Bronwen! I did a little scouting and found several Stuffing Spoons on e-b-oo. None EXACTLY like mine but some came very close. The marks on the back were different, however. Here's one that had the exact pattern of mine on the back except for stamps:
    LARGE SERVING SPOON SILVER PLATED KINGS PATTERN. TOP QUALITY 1850 ENGLISH
    Some others too but I can't get rid of this huge font. More in a followup reply.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  10. lizjewel

Continued here: The above linked spoon has the identical back pattern to my spoon. All other spoons viewed, 6-7 entries, have slightly different patterns on the back of the bowl, and also different stamps or no stamps.

This was a much-copied spoon apparently. Mine is different from them for another reason: It is exactly 13.5 inches. All other spoons viewed were listed at 13 inches, one at 13 1/4 inches.

Mine is not in fine condition. It appears to have been subjected to very high heat once, as having been left in a pot or pan on a stove, a no-no to do to silverplated utensils.

Half of the back of the bowl on my spoon is seriously blackened, almost scorched and I have spent some time trying to get rid of the black coating. One more way to try: my automatic polishing machine. It is difficult to get at right now so it'll have to wait.

I don't expect to sell my spoon. A big stuffing/serving spoon is always great to have and none I personally own is this long(!). Once cleaned it'll be useful. Yes, the black stuff is coming off by handpolishing, just not fast enough..

Thanks again, fellow antiquer enthusiasts! Have a safe year!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted