Featured Mystery mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by James Maison, Nov 9, 2022.

1. James Maison

James Maison New Member

I love porcelain and especially early English porcelain. I have a porcelain teaset painted with Swansea Roses. Looks typically English c1820. Each piece is incised with a scrolling S and nothing else. The maker is a mystery to me. I would really appreciate any help on identifying this set. Thank you. 2DC6D790-5505-4E26-90BD-24B2E7B66655.jpeg F527CEF0-2C5B-4F70-A2EB-AC3E16C09680.jpeg

ascot, Born2it, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

That is lovely!!! Wonder if it could be Spode?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. James Maison

James Maison New Member

It is a very striking and well painted set. The only item I have found that is identical in shape is a derby service. Pictured here. E2118D94-09C2-4080-AE15-C631A5867607.jpeg

Attached Files:

Figtree3, Born2it, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like the "mark" is scratched through the glaze after firing. It that correct?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Figtree3, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. James Maison

James Maison New Member

Yes, you are correct, it is scratched through the glaze. Do you think it could be a decorators mark?

judy likes this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Might imply second or inferior quality?

judy likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely. I wonder if thats just an initial,maybe an owner?

judy likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have no idea, it did occur to me that it might be an owner initial. It does look like that shape so maybe use Billingsley Rose as a search term too.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. James Maison

James Maison New Member

I now believe this is London decorated Paris Porcelain from early 19th century. Not sure if the incised S is from the manufacturer or the decorating workshop.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Derby, too, early 19th c.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted