Featured Mystery silver pot

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Houseful, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg No idea what this is used for. Dated 1928 Birmingham. The star is the outer of the hollow tube and can be blown into. I can't find my way into the Patent Office records so hoping someone may have seen one of these before. It's 2 ins high.
    Many thanks
    Hope this gets in as it's my first picture posting.

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Photos look great but I've no idea except it's a pretty color.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a piece off of something else. Decanter lid, maybe?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I am wondering about whatever is inside it. It looks like a bit of wire - a clapper perhaps?
    It is truly lovely though.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

"HM" may be for Henry Matthews. His H M mark was registered in 1893. According to the following site his mark has been seen on:
    "Box, button & buckle set, cigarette case, condiments, dressing & vanity sets, goblet, inkwell, matchbox holder, menu holder, mirror, spoon, tea service, tray, vesta."
    http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-HI-HQ.html#HM

There are a few other silver guilloche items out there by him:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Hen...sch&q=Henry+Matthews+silver+guilloche&imgrc=_

--- Susan

Edited: BTW, the British patent #180678 dates the patent for whatever it is to 1891. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for registry numbers.
    http://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`ve a feeling its the top from some sort of perfume atomiser.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. evelyb30

At two inches, I'd be inclined to agree; I didn't see the measurement.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Powder atomizer, Davey? ;) Yes, it's missing a lid, but it's not for perfume.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

No I think that is the lid, the tube led into a reservoir which had some sort of pump.
    Although it says powder I think that small tube would become quickly blocked.

Edit;.
    I think the word powder has been added at a later date, it is not even or the same as the other lettering.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like it's a hollow tube - just a solid bit of metal.
    Also, would all that info be on top of an otherwise lovely thing? Wouldn't it be on the bottom?
    I donno.

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  12. daveydempsey

The OP says she can blow air through the star along the tube.

13. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Susan, the link you gave was for a registered design number.
    I think the patent is for 1921 and is as follows
    1921 patent:180,678. Blanc, L. May 25, 1921, [Convention date]. Air-pressure sprayers.- An atomizer comprises a reservoir a provided with compression means d directly connected thereto and one or more spraying- tubes b, bent at b<1> to face a hole a' in the wall of the reservoir. The compression means may comprise a stretched membrance or a rubber bulb d without an inlet valve, retained in position by means of the inturned rim a<2> of the reservoir. In order to prevent escape of the liquid when the sprayer is not in use, a perforated rotatable ring c<1> may be employed to close the opening a<1>, which may be formed of several holes or as a slit. In place of a bulb or membrane, the compression means may consist of a spring- pressed sliding cover which acts as a pump piston.

Ladybranch and daveydempsey like this.
  14. Bakersgma

I agree with Messi. If this piece were the top of something, all the marks would be visible and disruptive to the overall look. I don't know what to make of the little tube and what can be done with the star.

15. evelyb30

Some British pieces did the marks that way. They were proud of their work and the marks became part of the overall design. I've seen pewter dinner plates with the marks right on top, on the rims. This could be the same thing, just in nicer metal.

daveydempsey likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Now that is very interesting, rhiwfield!

17. Houseful

Thanks everyone for your input. The pot was bought recently for a few pence at a Jumble sale which often seem to sell broken bits off things, this has stumped me though as it seems intact, nothing obvious. Thanks for the picture compliment, helped to my first post by DaveyDempsey.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  18. Houseful

Thanks Rhiwfield,
    Thinks this has got something to do with spraying, either perfume or powder, because the pot is so small I would think perfume, unless it's very expensive powder!! Must be missing an atomiser bulb and probably lid too.
    Thanks
    Houseful

19. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Would it be something like this, originally?

[​IMG]

20. Houseful

Possibly Shangas. Don't think any glass though but may be missing a plunger as your picture.
    I shall keep looking, someone must have a complete one somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted