Featured Mystery (to me) planter- Can you help identify? Venetian?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marie W, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Marie W

Marie W Member

I saw this in the tubs on the merchandising cart at my local thrift shop and snatched it-- the colors on the flowers seemed very mid century to me.

It appears to be a high quality piece, the brass stand is very nicely done (although on one side there are two tiny holes in the brass, see pics); the more I examined it, the more it intrigued me, so I bought it.

The only thing I've seen similar online while searching was a lamp and a description that said it was Venetian and from the 40s. I am assuming this one is a planter, from the wide opening and the brass lining. I think that's wax at the bottom. I haven't tried to clean it.

Thank you in advance if you have information that would help me know where and when it was made, and a better description of what kind of piece this is. Apologies for the intrusive hands/phone images in the pics, it's very reflective!

IMG_7402.jpeg IMG_7404.jpeg IMG_7407.jpeg IMG_7408.jpeg IMG_7415.jpeg IMG_7417.jpeg IMG_7420.jpeg IMG_7421.jpeg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I would call it a jardiniere or cachepot. The finish appears to be lustre or lustreware. I had a couple pieces that were English but could have easily been Japanese. Someone will come along and know for certain.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What is it made of? It appears to be glass.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Base looks French to me and the glass looks bohemian. Mid to late nineteenth.

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What an interesting piece. I can't recall seeing similar, so will defer to others as to exactly what this is.

A couple of observations. Likely that is green putty in the base for dried flower arranging. Also the nut underneath the metal base is square, a good sign for older.

Nice photos, but maybe add approximate measurements of this since there is nothing to show the scale.

Intriguing for sure. Not sure if that overall crazing is extreme damage or was meant to be like that.

Following this thread!

Figtree3, cxgirl, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id have jumped on that with both feet ! The crazing puzzles me too,but it wouldnt have stopped me from buying it.If its accidental,it still works.

7. Marie W

Marie W Member

I can’t believe I forgot dimensions!! Will edit to add them.

8. Marie W

Marie W Member

Dimensions:

top to bottom- 7”
    Base of stand width- 5”
    Widest part of vase- 7”

Figtree3, Lucille.b and wlwhittier like this.
  9. Marie W

Marie W Member

I believe the crackle is intentional. The glass on the one similar piece I could find was like that as well.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Marie W

Marie W Member

Yes, it’s a crackled glass

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Is the liner removable?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Amazing thrift shop find.

Debora

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. Marie W

Marie W Member

Perhaps if I took the piece apart, which I don’t think I want to try.

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  14. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Have I missed something? I don't see any glass, just BRASS, and I don't think the base was an original part of the vase.

Apart from that,it's a lovely jardiniere

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Crackled gilded glass. I’ve seen it.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. Marie W

Marie W Member

The vase is glass.

17. Marie W

Marie W Member

It’s a glass vase with a brass pedestal

18. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Looks like an oil lamp missing the font.

cxgirl likes this.
  19. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Needs one of these.
    IMG_2943.jpeg

cxgirl likes this.
  20. Marie W

Marie W Member

Would an oil lamp like that have a post hole/screw in the bottom like this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted