Mystery Victorian 3 D metal plate/wall hanging, European scene

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Raji, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Raji

Raji Member

Optimized-IMG_E1450.JPG Optimized-20180315_104645_001.jpg Optimized-20180315_104746.jpg Optimized-20180315_104806_001.jpg Optimized-Metal 3D plaque 1A.jpg Optimized-Metal 3D Plaque -2.jpg

I will call them metal plates for now.There are two of them, the main plate excluding the frame is 13 inch x 7 inch
    The workmanship is exquisite and very detail oriented. The 3 D effect is stunning and I love them.

I took them to Bonhams once during their free appraisal event and they had no clue. They have not see anything like this come to them earlier, but suspected it might be from England region (from the frames) maybe Sheffield, and that the metal composition is mixture of brass and also had gold coating once upon a time.
    They said vaguely it might have a marking, but I have been unable to find one.
    I have searched all the years for something similar but gave up. I was hoping a stunning decor like these will have some namesakes on the WWW.
    the low resolution does not make any justice to its beauty.

I am hoping the experts here will have some answers.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The indoor scene appears to be of a "masked ball." But beyond that guess, I know nothing. ;)

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4. Raji

Raji Member

One plain difference is the process. The Etsy ones, seem to be 'hammered' piece and single metal.
    Mine,seem to have a different 'creation' process

5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

upload_2020-2-28_14-55-44.jpeg
    Carved Relief? Some of the depth in yours being the application of stain on the metals? Or by rubbing...

6. Raji

Raji Member

Optimized-IMG_E1448.JPG Optimized-IMG_E1449.JPG the depth is thick metal. does not look carved. maybe a casting process? taking a wild guess.
    but the 3D is similar to your second picture, but in mine the craftsmanship is really superb
    I am trying to upload close view images..

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think they'd be more accurately called cast relief and plaques.

Debora

blooey and Fid like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I think the 2nd one has been posted here before in a larger size. Die struck and probably mass produced.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. Raji

Raji Member

If it is mass produced, I am thinking they should have popped up earlier somewhere on the WWW.

I have had them for over 10 years and have been looking for answers and closure. Hopefully from this global forum!

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, certainly produced in multiples.

Debora

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They may be based on period paintings. Have you done a search in that direction?

Debora

12. Raji

Raji Member

good idea, thanks!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you post photographs of their backs?

Debora

14. Raji

Raji Member

Optimized-IMG_E1455.JPG here it is. Back of the 'garden scene plate'

15. Raji

Raji Member

does the frame hold a clue to the period?

16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ok interesting that you've had yours a decade already, but I don't think it's much older than that, Raji.

I've suddenly been seeing similar metal ware plaques around at the thrift stores.. I don't think any of them are more than 10 years old.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, frames can hold a clue as to period. That's why we always ask that photographs of artwork include the frame, both front and back.

Debora

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think they were late-Victorian.

Debora