Name/origin for this type of modern pottery figure?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I know I've seen this type of ceramic figure before, but can't come up with the name. Thinking maybe origin is Mexico. Any keywords? Thanks.

fig1.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You might check Gantofta, but similar stuff cane from Japan (can't think of the name at the moment). I've seen similar made in Canada by R & H Ceramics.

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Pretty sure the Japanese figurines were called Poppets, and that's where I'd start looking.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Perhaps the name you are thinking of is “Mudman”. Mudmen figurines originated in China in the Tang Dynasty (618-907 A.D.) and then produced in Japan through the early part of the 20th century. I agree with you about Mexico being a possible source.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Metlox Poppets were what I had in mind, and that (apparently) was a California company.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm with anund.
    Japan origin. I don't know what company.

She is similar to the Metlox poppet, but their clay wasn't as smooth or as dark.

Oh and about 1970s.
    Cost Plus, Japanese Nurseries,

judy, Lucille.b and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

I think uctci is what I was thinking of. And that company used a foil label on the base which often has been removed. In general the uctci figures aren't in my taste, but found this one to have a special charm. A bit larger than some and love the girl's oversized flower. Had this for the last two years in my kitchen, was just thinking of listing it. Now that I have a keyword, off to see if it is worth listing!

:)

judy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sorry, not a CLUE, but she's kinda CUTE!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted