Featured Napoleon Bronze or Brass Dip Pen?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Diggummup, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

I've had this for several years and always wondered if it may have came from a desk set or something. I have searched from time to time trying to find another with no luck. It has the French Napoleonic eagle on the top and two smaller ones on the pen itself, along with a Napoleon profile also. The nib says platina inoxidable garanti (stainless steel plate) on it, so it's not a quality nib I don't guess. I know a little about antique pens but not much. No other markings anywhere. Trying to put an age and/or possibly a maker to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, i need help and komokwa like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The nib could very well be a replacement.

Have you tried contacting any Pen collector clubs to see if they can provide info?

Diggummup, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Diggummup and i need help like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think because of the ribbing, I was immediately put in mind of writing implements made by Sampson & Mordan. Blind alley; this does not really look like their work.

Diggummup and i need help like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Vanishingly unlikely they'd have made anything with Boney on it, anyhow.

That reeded column work is typically French Empire in style. The French are still making stuff with homage to the fellow, but this looks mid 19th to me at the very least, and may be earlier. Probably part of a desk set.

If you sell that to France, you'll do very well with it.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good idea, but not too sure if the money in it is big.
    could as well be a Grand Tour souvenir from 1850s onwards; what looks rather elaborate and expensive for us today, was probably peanuts for the filthy rich anglosaxons on their tour.

Diggummup likes this.
  7. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I haven't posted it on a pen collector's forum yet. This was saved from a roll off dumpster in front of an estate sale along with an 18k Longines watch, several pieces of broken sterling and 3 vintage silk scarves, 1 Gucci and 2 Hermes (sold those). I found the pen and the scarves a friend of mine found the other items. No telling what else other people found. We only became interested in the dumpster because there was a guy in it when we exited the sale. Asked the owner if she minded and we joined in. No telling what fell down to the bottom of it that we couldn't get to. It's amazing what people throw in the dumpster sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted